BasiliskII for Windows

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

that-ben
Granny Smith

Re: BasiliskII for Windows

Post by that-ben »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:Cat_7 explained on the download page why the 2010 download (with the needed additional files) was removed
Yes I saw that warning earlier today but I figured this was an old message. Can't believe somebody still uses Norton in 2018. I almost thought it was a joke ;-) I'll host everything on MR and have links for you to post here publicly and permanently in a few mins. Thanks.

2015-02-26 package all ready to go, nothing to configure, just run the BII .exe: https://www.macintoshrepository.org/764 ... py-support
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

In fact, Norton threatened to block the whole domain for all its users if the download was not removed. The administrators of the university site tried to work with Norton and convince them that that there was nothing wrong with the file, to no avail.
Indeed, Ronald, you remember that perfectly well ;-)
What to think of a distance teaching university that can't be reached over the internet ...
Norton still seems to come as a payload on some preconfigured laptops etc. and seems to deploy an automatic cloud upload of suspicious files so other users have the same "virus" definitions quickly.

We had to bend ...

Best,
Cat_7
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

But @Cat_7: I'm still wondering why the 2015 version does not come with the rest of the package that came in the missing 2010 link. Why is the 2015 version only the .exe without the required DLL ?
Because the 2010 download contained one file I wasn't ready to duplicate in another download. I cannot make our institution responsible for me using the infrastructure to distribute that file.
Thing might look different now, and others do distribute files of that kind, but that is on their plate.
The 2015 basilisk.exe file was meant as an in-place update for the 2010 basilisk.exe version. The rest would already be there...

btw: I'm puzzled by the "framesleepticks" setting, I never heard of it. Where does it come from?

Best,
Cat_7
macplus
Inquisitive Elf

Post by macplus »

The missing 2010 release is in Wayback Machine, here: https://web.archive.org/web/20141121073 ... 1_2010.zip
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Well, I got around to having a look at the file. Symantec is detecting BasiliskIIGui.exe with SHA256 3610ad87ea1419f4b867f7c4c82f893136005e3c0189fe75e34ab8e7754faeef as "Downloader" -- likely based on the b2ether module. They're the only AV vendor who does this. The odd thing is, "Downloader" isn't even part of their standard naming convention, so I'm not quite sure how/why this got in there. Seems to be a generic ID for downloader apps, which would normally go under PUA and not be flagged as malicious.

As such, there's not really any reason for a file host to have a problem with hosting it, other than the noise it creates with their scanner.

Next step: I'll try contacting some people at Symantec and see if I can get them to whitelist this.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

adespoton wrote:As such, there's not really any reason for a file host to have a problem with hosting it, other than the noise it creates with their scanner.
Unless the file host is a university site and many students and teachers use the same virus scanner that detects the file as malware and the firm that produces that virus scanner threatens to block the whole domain when the file is not removed. Bizarre, but that is what happened and what forced Cat_7 to remove the file.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Yeah; it's funny, considering Symantec wasn't even detecting it as malicious.

I'll send a few targeted emails their way next week and see if I can get it delisted. The GUI is obviously not any sort of downloader.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

It seems some of our students do download through this site ;-) Who would have thought so.

Best,
Cat_7
that-ben
Granny Smith

Post by that-ben »

Cat_7 wrote:The 2015 basilisk.exe file was meant as an in-place update for the 2010 basilisk.exe version. The rest would already be there...

btw: I'm puzzled by the "framesleepticks" setting, I never heard of it. Where does it come from?

Best,
Cat_7
From the README file? https://basilisk.cebix.net/README
framesleepticks <milliseconds>
The amount of time between video frames.
There's also this one that I use[D... *cries* because they're now gone!] paired with the aforementioned parameter:
frameskip <frames to skip>

For refreshed graphics modes (usually window modes), this specifies
how many frames to skip after drawing one frame. Higher values make
the video display more responsive but require more processing power.
The default is "8". Under Unix/X11, a value of "0" selects a "dynamic"
update mode that cuts the display into rectangles and updates each
rectangle individually, depending on display changes.
So my question remains: How do you slow down (throttle) the 2015 BASILISK II?
AND how do you put the STARTUP CHIME sound on again? :sad:

BTW: Incredible performance improvement between the 2008 version and the 2015 version, even if I remove all the throttling settings from the 2008 version and make them run the same ROM at maximum speed, DOOM II runs at ~3fps on BII 2008 and ~36fps on BII 2015!!! It's like 12x faster O.o
macplus
Inquisitive Elf

Post by macplus »

That's what's awesome about technology...
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

That readme hasn't been updated for a long time. Later basilisk builds dropped a lot of the prefs.
However, build 142 still has them, and also provides the startup sound.

See here: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/basilisk_142_setup

Best,
Cat_7
that-ben
Granny Smith

Post by that-ben »

Cat_7 wrote:
That readme hasn't been updated for a long time. Later basilisk builds dropped a lot of the prefs.
However, build 142 still has them, and also provides the startup sound.

See here: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/basilisk_142_setup

Best,
Cat_7
No I know, I've been using 142 for years. I was simply asking about the newer version, but I guess since it dropped features, I guess there's no point in "upgrading"...
SistemaRayoXP
Tinkerer

Post by SistemaRayoXP »

Hill radio station first attempt: Failure. Retrying...
CorporalPig22
Inquisitive Elf

Post by CorporalPig22 »

Hello,

I'm trying to copy the recommended software files to the .hfv folder I'm using, but for some reason HFVExplorer does nothing as far as copying goes. What am I doing wrong, and how should I fix it? If I'm not doing anything wrong, what can I do to fix the situation?
Velek
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Velek »

I'm just getting started with Basilisk. I have checked out the head of the tree from Git Hub and built it under Visual Studio 2017.
It looks like most people here are building under Cygwin, but even though I subscribe to the Linux/Unix GNU religion a little myself, I like to be native.
I've fixed a Y2k bug that was causing the extfs (confusing name for Linux people like me) to crash, but haven't gotten a reply to my email to Christian about getting it committed to the tree.
Right now I'm trying to get networking to work. My build tries to send some packets out through ether.cpp, but SUPPORTS_UDP_TUNNEL is not defined, and it doesn't include winsock support. Then there's ether_windows.cpp. Not sure which direction to go in.
EDIT: One thing I've been pondering is if there are things that could be done as extensions within the VM itself. I wrote some code on 68k Macs in college.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

This is very interesting and good to know. The only programmer working seriously on macemu is kanjitalk755, and his fork is here:

https://github.com/kanjitalk755/macemu

Perhaps you could suggest your y2k fix to kanjitalk755?
Velek
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Velek »

emendelson wrote:This is very interesting and good to know. The only programmer working seriously on macemu is kanjitalk755, and his fork is here:

Perhaps you could suggest your y2k fix to kanjitalk755?
Yes, I see his tree still has the problem. I've also fixed my tree to build under VS 2017. Did I see he has SDL2 support?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Velek wrote:Did I see he has SDL2 support?
Yes, he has SDL2 support.

BTW: kanjitalk755 is also a user here in Emaculation forum.
JohnG_77
Space Cadet

Post by JohnG_77 »

I just wanted to says thanks for this program which is allowing me to revive an old Performa 200.
Using a Windows 10 laptop and serial cable (8 pin mini din to DB9) allowed me to run ZTerm in the emulated mac to communicate with the real mac.
Once I got ZTerm on the real mac I was able to increase the serial speed from 19200 to 57600 and will soon be applying update 7.5.3 to the Performa.
I have also ordered 8MB of ram (my god this stuff is cheap now) to bring it up to 10MB from 4MB (with any luck).
Setting up BasiliskII for Windows only took about 30 minutes to figure it out. I think the instructions are pretty good.
Anyways... Thanks for the hard work on this and its related programs. It really does make a difference.

John
kanjitalk755
Apple Corer

Post by kanjitalk755 »

@Velek
I have received your private message and will reply here.

1) localtime()
I recommend uploading the fix on your own GitHub repo.

2) SDL2
Try windows version of my repo.

3) VS2017
My repo can be built using MinGW32/MSYS.
I can't solve the problem related to Visual Studio because I don't familiar to it.
Velek
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Velek »

kanjitalk755 wrote:@Velek
I have received your private message and will reply here.

1) localtime()
I recommend uploading the fix on your own GitHub repo.

2) SDL2
Try windows version of my repo.

3) VS2017
My repo can be built using MinGW32/MSYS.
I can't solve the problem related to Visual Studio because I don't familiar to it.
I'm interested in seeing what difference SDL2 makes. I'll have to try your branch. Fortunately Visual Studio 2017 is a free download for personal use.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Velek wrote: Fortunately Visual Studio 2017 is a free download for personal use.
If you can make BasiliskII compile under VS2017, please let us know and post your code. (Also, if possible, the latest SheepShaver, but that's a lot to ask for.)
Velek
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Velek »

emendelson wrote:
Velek wrote: Fortunately Visual Studio 2017 is a free download for personal use.
If you can make BasiliskII compile under VS2017, please let us know and post your code. (Also, if possible, the latest SheepShaver, but that's a lot to ask for.)
Yes, I can send you that. PM me your email address. I'm having trouble right now with getting the Release code to run, but I've been using the Debug build but it's a little slow. My Release build doesn't get past the initial opening of the window and the debugging output gives me nothing.
Maybe I should just fork macemu.
I'm focusing on BasiliskII right now because that's where my interest lies.
I'd also like to make HFVExplorer run. It's broken on Windows 7 Professional 64. I've started to look into making a Windows File Explorer shell extension for HFS but I have a learning curve.
Velek
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Velek »

emendelson wrote:
I just forked and committed my changes:
https://github.com/Velek/macemu.git
My environment expects the SDL 1.2.15 library to be at the same level as the trunk/ directory.
I don't think I have major changes to the SDL library but let me know how it works out.
I just rebuilt everything fresh from my forked tree. You will have to set the main target to Debug x86.
The gencpu program doesn't build right for me on the first try. You will have to "Build Solution" twice.
In my tree I also fixed a Y2k-ish bug which caused extfs to crash the emulator when it tried to open files with modern dates on them.
Velek
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Velek »

I was poking around and found a fairly serious bug. A mutex for interrupts wasn't being created at initialization time. Fixing that speeds the system up quite a bit, but it's still laggy. I was hoping it was the reason the Release build wouldn't run, but unfortunately not.