BasiliskII for Windows

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: BasiliskII for Windows

Post by adespoton »

Mine was pretty much a copy/paste text dump using print2pdf years ago. I seem to recall I dropped some of the link-dependent stuff; I just wanted an easy-lookup document for personal use.

And yesterday I went digging for the PDF, and have no idea where I stuck it -- it's been a decade or so since I used it, pre-dating my current eBook archive.

If you're getting a copy with usable links, that'd be great! Feel free to ping me if you get stuck anywhere, but it sounds like you've already done more than my quick hack job.
Velek
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Velek »

I just used a PDF printer driver. It doesn't have links, but it does look like what you would get with a dead tree version.
Roarke
Tinkerer

Post by Roarke »

Cat_7 wrote:
In fact, Norton threatened to block the whole domain for all its users if the download was not removed. The administrators of the university site tried to work with Norton and convince them that that there was nothing wrong with the file, to no avail.
Indeed, Ronald, you remember that perfectly well ;-)
What to think of a distance teaching university that can't be reached over the internet ...
Norton still seems to come as a payload on some preconfigured laptops etc. and seems to deploy an automatic cloud upload of suspicious files so other users have the same "virus" definitions quickly.

We had to bend ...

Best,
Cat_7

Comodo see this as suspicious. Can you talk to Comodo ? The below link which has the GUI file, works without suspicion.

Basilisk II (2015-02-26) for Windows bundled w/ Mac OS 7.5.3
https://www.macintoshrepository.org/764 ... py-support
Last edited by ClockWise on Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
dosbox turbo
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Unfortunately I don't know anyone at Comodo to flag this up with -- best is to flag it as a False Positive through their product or website.

However, Comodo is often bases their detections on other security vendor detections, so they're likely picking up on the Symantec detection.

Symantec has continued to be disinterested in removing their detection.
Meowlit12
Space Cadet

Post by Meowlit12 »

I would love if this was a more recent version of basilisk ii, but it seems the windows version is being neglected in favor of the macOS builds. :sad:
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

That's because for the most part, the Windows build still works, but the OS X one keeps breaking, so it needs update.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Thanks for making me smile, adespoton!
You did bring it to the point.
Even BII Build 142 does still write HFS floppies on a W10-64 host.
Nobody would have believed we would use Windows to write HFS floppies in the future, when we had our Mac II or similar.
MajorLag
Space Cadet

Post by MajorLag »

I disagree with the statement "the Windows build still works". It crashes constantly in router and slirp mode, udp tunneling doesn't work at all, and to top it all off I can't even look into fixing any of this because the build doesn't seem to work with either MinGW/MSYS or MSVC.

Basilisk II for Windows feels like an abandoned project.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Are other people having these issues with the latest SDL and SDL2 builds too? This sounds like issues I had with older builds, but I don't use BII on Windows anymore.
Antidamage
Space Cadet

Post by Antidamage »

Just so you know, there's a pretty much complete public archive of Mac ROMS available here: https://archive.org/details/mac_rom_arc ... _8-19-2011
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Thanks for the pointer. :)
The collection was created by Balrog and other members members of Macintoshgarden and was hosted at Mediafire since 2011 or so.
For some time now there is a page for it at MG: https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/macintosh-rom-archive
Someone thought the collection should be available at IA too - same for many other items collected at MG.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Added a new 22 September 2020 BasiliskII build.
Builds no longer require installation of the gtk development environment to have a working GUI.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Does the Windows 22-09-2020 include the ability to boot from and access CDs in 64 bit hosts?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Yes, both reading and booting are supported without de cdenable.sys driver.

Best,
Cat_7
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Oh, perfect. I guess that is really the ideal build now.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

The download in the first post has been updated with the keycodes and readme file.
starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

Post by starfiretbt »

I wanted to thank everybody who was involved in making BasiliskII work for windows, I am confused about the latest version on 22-09-2020 as the readme doesn't include instructions. Do I just move everything in the expanded folder into my original basiliskII folder and every file involved would just copy over or do I need to move certain files into certain folders like the many "application extensions" this version comes with?
Also I have had trouble with certain files from older Basilisk versions not being compatible with newer versions so going from the original basilisk that the guide recommends you start with what files need to be changed and what files need to be kept, or will the files included in the new version naturally copy over what they need to?
I know the other versions of BasiliskII all you had to do was drag it into the original folder but they didn't have so many extensions.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Yes, the new build comes with other files, and would require an update of our guide. We are in the process of doing that. We haven't had the chance to provide instructions for upgrading from the old to the new Basilisk II build.

For now the best thing to do is to download all files into a new folder to make a fresh start (but still allowing you to use your old Rom file and hard disk image). Most dll (application extensions) files included are needed to run the GUI. That may be a bit overwhelming, but on the up-side it is no longer necessary to install the GTK development kit to run the GUI.

If you kept your Rom file and hard disk image(s) in the old Basilisk II folder, copy your Rom file and hard disk image(s) into the new folder. If they are outside your old Basilisk II folder, leave them where they are now.
Then run the GUI, point to the required Rom and disks in the new folder (or where you kept them outside of the old folder) and set the other settings the same as you had before.
You can then run Basilisk II.

If everything is OK like it was before, you can remove the old folder and its content.
If you had the GTK development kit installed to run the old GUI and if it is not used for any other program you have installed, you can remove that development kit too.

Best,
Cat_7
starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

Post by starfiretbt »

Is the Mac OS ROM still needed as well as the other kinds of ROM's like Quadra650? I think that was important for something.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

starfiretbt wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:51 pm Is the Mac OS ROM still needed as well as the other kinds of ROM's like Quadra650? I think that was important for something.
Yup; you need to provide your own ROM image for BII, as well as your own operating system.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

A new build has been linked to in the first post in this thread.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

New Basilisk build has been added to the first post in this thread:
-allows redirecting a guest tcp port to the host
-plays a sound startup.wav at boot.

Best,
Cat_7
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Can anyone provide a step-by-step guide for building BII under Windows? Current code won't build in msys, so I've tried to build in MSYS2, without success. I've installed MSYS2 and all the build tools that seem to be necessary, but I get different errors when I run MSYS2 MSYS2 and MSYS2 MinGW32-bit. The procedure on the github page is obviously for knowledgeable users, and I'm not knowledgeable enough.

Any advice would be gratefully received.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

This is what currently works:
https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/co ... r_basilisk

You should download the 32 bit version of msys2.

Best,
Cat_7
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Thank you for that - and I should have found it myself. My mistake seems to have been to have believed what it says on the MSYS2 site and downloaded and installed the 64-bit version. Will remove and start over. Thank you again!