Performa floppy images driving me nuts to try and install

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

basilisk2user
Student Driver

Performa floppy images driving me nuts to try and install

Post by basilisk2user »

I'm trying to crack open the Performa 7.1 floppy images from Mac Garden and having no luck whatsoever. I'm mainly interested in the software in them but they're stuck behind a bunch of Apple Backup data files. Up until this point I hadn't even been able to access the "Hard disk copy" ones; when I'd list them in B2 under the available disk list, I'd get a "this disk is unreadable, do you want to initialize it" error. Turns out it was the newer version that just won't read these Performa floppies for some reason, but 142 works with them fine.

So now I've finally been able to open the Utilities and Hard Disk Copy images in a new B2 setup, but when I try to restore them to an empty .hfv drive by double-clicking Apple Restore on the Utilities disk, I get as far as the welcome screen and then "Problem with internal hard disk: There doesn't seem to be a hard disk to restore to!"

This is really bizarre. All the disks show up on the desktop, but the Apple HD SC Setup in the Utilities disk folder just doesn't recognize them for some reason either: "Drive selection failed. Unable to locate a suitable drive connected to the SCSI port." There's no other option but to quit. Am I missing something here? Something else I need to install on my end so that this Performa restore setup can "read" the empty Mac HD that I want it to restore to? What is the ASPI program that it says I have to install when clicking the SCSI tab in B2 142?

I tried SoftMac, but it was a major PITA and the instructions on how to go about picking which disk to boot from and where to "map" it to aren't very clear. It seems like a more advanced program, too advanced for my comfort level. Is there any way I can install the Performa-specific system from the floppy images in B2 without having to go through that? What do I need to do to get Apple Backup/Restore and/or Apple HD SC Setup working so that either or both can "see" my disks?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Performa floppy images driving me nuts to try and instal

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

basilisk2user wrote:All the disks show up on the desktop, but the Apple HD SC Setup in the Utilities disk folder just doesn't recognize them for some reason either: "Drive selection failed. Unable to locate a suitable drive connected to the SCSI port."
Apple HD SC Setup only recognizes physically attached SCSI drives, no other type of volume. The same is true for Apple Restore.

Exactly what is on the image files you want to restore from and in what form? An installed system can be simply copied in the Finder. Not sure if a Performa installation will run in BasiliskII though.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason:  
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I seem to recall a Performa installation running in BII with the Performa ROM and gestalt ID. But it depends on *which* Performa in the series; the one based on the Classic might not run, as it expects to read specific data from hardware that might not be present. That said, the Classic one with the hidden boot ROM works, although you can't boot from the ROM image.
basilisk2user
Student Driver

Post by basilisk2user »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:
basilisk2user wrote:All the disks show up on the desktop, but the Apple HD SC Setup in the Utilities disk folder just doesn't recognize them for some reason either: "Drive selection failed. Unable to locate a suitable drive connected to the SCSI port."
Apple HD SC Setup only recognizes physically attached SCSI drives, no other type of volume. The same is true for Apple Restore.

Exactly what is on the image files you want to restore from and in what form? An installed system can be simply copied in the Finder. Not sure if a Performa installation will run in BasiliskII though.
Well, I finally got a generic 7.5.3 system running in SoftMac using this guide. What I then did was to create a second "external" disk just called Performa and initialized that, then copied the Apple Restore program from the Utilities disk image to that.

So thinking that I would be able to use the Apple Backup floppy images as just regular floppies with the generic 7.5.3 system set as the boot drive, I went into Disk Properties in SoftMac and set the "Hard Disk Copy 1.dsk" as Mac internal floppy. Finally, Apple Restore runs and recognizes the Performa "hard drive," but the Hard Disk Copy 1 disk sort of "disappears" -- the icon on the desktop turns grey and fuzzy, as though the disk had been improperly ejected (I remember this from the old Mac days where this would happen if you chose Eject Disk from the Special menu and not Put Away or dragged the icon to the trash). Apple Restore requests that the Hard Disk Copy 1 disk be inserted into the drive, but as this is an emulator and not a real Mac I have no idea how to do this, because it's not recognizing it. Now I'm stuck again. :???:

This user (not me) at Mac Garden gives a list of what software is on the Performa Bundles. Right now I'm trying to get at the 7.1P2 bundle, downloaded from here. I used to have an old 450 that died several years ago; this was the system package that came with it, and I want to relive the old glory days. :cool:
Macintosh Performa 405/430/450

System Software 7.1P2
At Ease v1.1
ClarisWorks for the Performa or WordPerfect Works v1.2
Global Village TelePort/Bronze Modem
CheckFree
Apple Special Edition of America Online v2.0
American Heritage Dictionary
Scrabble Deluxe Color
Spectre Challenger
NOW TouchBase Pro
NOW DateBook Pro
BestBooks
Correct Grammar
Best of ClickArt
But nobody at the site seems to have uploaded all of the programs separately, and even Mac Garden acknowledges that Performa bundles are annoying because of the Apple Backup format they're packaged in. I would be fine not having the 7.1 system itself if I could just have the programs. But I'm not sure if the programs themselves are packaged within the system, and that's why I'm trying to do a restore. IIRC, they were preinstalled when I got my 450 as a birthday gift in 1992. :smile:
adespoton wrote:I seem to recall a Performa installation running in BII with the Performa ROM and gestalt ID. But it depends on *which* Performa in the series; the one based on the Classic might not run, as it expects to read specific data from hardware that might not be present. That said, the Classic one with the hidden boot ROM works, although you can't boot from the ROM image.
Can you explain this further so a newbie can understand? :oops: I'm not sure what that means, "gestalt ID" and the "hidden boot ROM." Is the 450 a stubborn model to get running?

-------------

EDIT: These are the instructions they give on how to restore the "old LC III Performas." It's not written very clearly (appears that English is not the first language of the author?) and I was having trouble figuring out what to do.
Restore the Performa software in emulators using CD without Hard Disk Files folder or floppy

Some Macintosh Performa CDs (such as Performa 630 series DOS restore CD) may does not have the "Hard Disk Files" folder due for technical and space reasons and the old Performas (like LC III Performas) may use the floppy version of Performa software restore. These methods are not compatible by Basilisk II, however, there are the steps below of the working method to restore the Performa Software on Basilisk II for Microsoft Windows.

If you using Windows
  1. Download the SoftMac XP and prepare the default configuration. You need the valid ROM image file. Prepare the unformatted 250MB or higher .dsk SoftMac hard disk file. Also, use the HFVExplorer to make the 300MB Macintosh .HFV file as the Basilisk II hard disk.
  2. Open the Disk Configuration. Use the restore CD or the Utilities disk as the internal floppy and read-only CD-ROM. Use the Basilisk II hard disk as the external floppy. Use the .dsk file as the SCSI 0.
  3. Follow the instructions using the real Performa restore method.
  4. After restoring the Performa software on the SCSI 0 hard disk image, copy all the files and folders from the newly-restored Performa hard disk to the Basilisk II hard disk.
  5. Done.
I was trying to correlate this with the Emaculation guide and got nowhere, as the Utilities disk simply refused to boot in SoftMac.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Performa floppy images driving me nuts to try and install

Post by adespoton »

Follow up to an old thread, for those who stumble on this and are looking for the solution:

https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/apple-backup-extractor -- one of the MG members wrote a tool (that runs on the Classic Mac OS) that can extract the contents of an Apple Backup file without having a Performa SCSI drive to restore to. It can extract complete files from any apple backup file, including a single segment from a multi-disk backup. The software will run on System 6 through Mac OS 9.