Games from the Learning Company won't install

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Calypto
Space Cadet

Games from the Learning Company won't install

Post by Calypto »

I'm trying to install Cluefinders 3rd grade and Reader Rabbit 2nd grade in Basilisk on MacOS 7.5

They mount fine, and I can launch and run the installer. It creates a "The Learning Company" folder, but then doesn't install anything into it. The folder stays empty, despite the installer telling me that the installation is complete. This is the same for both games.

I've no idea what's happening, as everything seems to be correct, but the installer is essentially running and doing nothing.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Games from the Learning Company won't install

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Which is your host system (Windows or macOS)?

Which is the location where you try to install the games to?

Did installing other software / games work as expected?

Edit:
I tried Cluefinders 3rd grade (downloaded from MacintoshGarden) in BasiliskII and the installer only installed an empty folder.

I tried it in SheepShaver and the installer worked fine. Apparently, the installer needs a PPC Mac.

The comments in MacintoshGarden also indicate that it needs a PPC Mac and that it will work in SheepShaver (no mention of BasiliskII).
Calypto
Space Cadet

Re: Games from the Learning Company won't install

Post by Calypto »

*facepalm* I was so sure I looked everywhere for an explanation, but missed Macintoshgarden. Thanks heaps for finding and testing that.

To answer the other questions, just for completeness, I'm on a mac, was trying to put them in a specific folder on the main hard drive inside the emulation, and everything else installed fine.