Login  •  Register

The time is now: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:37 pm

Emaculation wiki  •  Delete all board cookies

Print view Previous topic  |  Next topic
 Post subject: Whats JIT?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 11:54 pm 
Student Driver

I know that JIT helps in emulating PPC right? But what is it? Can I emulate OS X.1.2 or X.2? If not is there a Mac OS X skin for 8.1? that would be awesome! Im gunna get ROMimg and get a G3 ROM image from the iMacs at my school. Would takeing a ROM image from a G# or iMac hurt it or damge it? I am kinda new... Thanx[/img]

Reply with quote Post a reply  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 4:14 pm 
Student Driver

Hello, dear new e-maculation user !

Your question is that kind I can answer :
- JIT (just in time) is a technique to make emulation more efficient. In Basilisk II JIT, this speed up the 68k emulation. This technique is also used by SUN for enhancing JAVA execution speed.
- Despite what you may see around the web, there is NO PPC emulator, nor anything that can allow you to run MacOS X on a PC. Browse this site for more info, its sometime funny :lol:
- Don't worry about getting a ROM image, it doesn't hurt the computer. But taking a ROM from a G3 or any PPC Mac is useless (for reasons above). And remeber that legally, you can only take the ROM of a computer you own, because it is Apple's property.

In brief, Basilisk II is a free emulator that allow you to emulate a 68k Mac only. It's the best so don't try the others (except the JIT version, of course ;-), there are buggy. A big installer is available which will install anything you need : grab it at http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/cito ... E?download

Browse this website and the forum, you'll surely find the answers to each of your questions, present and future. Then you will turn into a emaculation expert in emulation and softmac criticism.

Good luck !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 4:14 pm 
Student Driver

Hey! Thanx a lot for the info!