Help with installation

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Havell
Space Cadet

Help with installation

Post by Havell »

Is there anyone out there who can help?

I'm on an imac with system 10.5.5.

I've been killing myself with 2 emulators, that's right you guessed it, the most popular two- SheepSaver and Basilisk2. As i know nothing about computers it only aids too my slow and painful death.
I've heard for Sheepsaver i can get it running only from CD, i've tried without and i guess it too be true.
MiniVmac I have working, as it's system 7.0.0 only, i can't do that much with it, although it looks pretty awesome.

Basilisk2 however, i almost have it up and running...

Ram size 128
Rom, The Quad650 of course.
Volumes, there's two.
/HD.dmg
/Disk Tools.image

The disk tools.image file is actually holding system 7.0.0 i believe. It works so far too when i open up basilisk2 it'll say:
"Sorry, a system error occurred.

illegal instruction
To temporarily turn off extensions, restart and hold down the shift key."
So i do hold down the shift key, nothing happens except a quick "Welcome to macintosh" Then it goes back to the message above. I've switched out so many images and .dsk that it makes me wonder. And it won't mount up on .dmg files, as far as i know. I read most instruction things but i haven't seen them mention this.

I've hoped too install system 7 to access 7.5.5 in some cases... MiniVmac doesn't support anything past system 7.0.0 i hear. Help?
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

How about trying a different disk image to start?

For Basilisk, there is a system 7 boot disk here: http://www.emaculation.com/System70_boot.zip

And a system 7.5 boot starter disk over here:
http://www.emaculation.com/articles/starterdisk.zip

Either one of those might work better than what you've got, and after booting one of them, you could then install a full version of system 7.

With SheepShaver, you need to have a certain old-world ROM image to use the older Operating System.
Havell
Space Cadet

Switching out the boot up disks

Post by Havell »

The link you gave me works. Thanks a ton. :)

I tried switching out them before but either it wouldn't open up or it'd just freeze. =/
Havell
Space Cadet

After

Post by Havell »

Well, it seemed to be working. The first one to install system 7.0.0 didn't. And system 7.5 did boot up. But in order to install (i'm guessing) i need to install system 7. Still says illegal instruction... ;o i'm not in any way owning an illegal mac, and as system 7 is free i don't know what the problem is.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

You do not need to install System 7 to install System 7.5.

The Disk Tools image and the 7.5 starter disk are no system install disks, there is no installer on them, nor the software to be installed. You can boot from them and while running the system from such a disk, you can do a system installation from another source. You need to run a system to be able to install a system. System CD's have both, a system to boot from and the system installer.

I understand you managed to boot from the 7.5 starter disk. Then you should be able to install a system. Do you have any 7.5.x install disks? If not, you first need to download all 19 files of the the 19-part System 7.5.3 installer disk from this Apple site:
http://www.info.apple.com/support/older ... elist.html
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

If you want to install system 7.5, please refer to Ronald's post above.

If you are not looking for a system 7.x installation, you can also install up to Mac OS 8.1 in Basilisk. Installation becomes a whole lot easier when installing from a CD :lol: You need a OS 8 cd that was meant for all mac's capable of running OS 8 (a so-called universal system disk)
(The same principle is true for SheepShaver. If you want to run up to system 9.0.4, you're best bet is a universal OS 9 cd)

If you get a cd to boot in sheepshaver (as I understand from your post above), you only need to create a file that SheepShaver can use as hard disk and install the system on that hard disk. You can use the GUI to create that file, then boot from the CD, format the hard disk that shows up in SheepShaver and install Mac OS onto that.

Cat_7
Havell
Space Cadet

Installing problem

Post by Havell »

Hmm, well i cleaned up the files in my unix so now the system 7.5.3 folder (That has all the 19 parts of it) automatically appears when basilisk2 starts up.

But whenever i try to install the "System 7.5.3 01of19.smi" it doesn't work. Opens up and asks me to agree to the terms of use, can scroll down and all i so i click agree. It starts. There's a progress bar and it looks like it's going to mount up "Mounting sy7.5" Etc. Then it stops and an error occurs.

"Unable to execute "System 7.5.3 01of19.smi".
"This file cannot be used on this file system. Copy to a Macintosh HFS or Macintosh.

Kind of confused. From what i hear HFS means hierarchical file system. No idea what i'm suppose too do. I'm positive i'm booting up from the 7.5.3 start disk too.

As i reread your post i guessed that you really meant it had to be installed from another source, so i dragged it too my second hard drive. (Not sure how i made one, i don't even know how i did it.) And clicked on the folder that held the part 1 of system 7.5.3 installer, it opens up and same as before (like it trying too mount) but it fails. I think something that is noticeable is that it doesn't look like the blue disk in the installer instruction manual, it looks like a triangle with a hand holding a pencil. This is what comes up once it fails too mount it.

"Unable to execute system 7.5.3 01of19.hfs."
"This file is invalid and should be replaced"
"(-8819)"

Also, when i open it up in my unix on my os x system the 1 of 19 shows .smi, but when i open it up on basilisk 2 it shows .hfs. kind of weird. I also have too make the 1 of 19 a .smi instead of it's original .dmg because it won't even show up in basilisk2 as .dmg, it'll read it as if it doesn't even exist, instead of 19, it'll say 18 items. I tried downloading system 7.5.3 a few more times but it says the same everytime i copy all of it directly into my second hard drive (image thing).

Thanks for your reply's.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I guess you need to know about disk images:
If you use a Mac OSX created dmg file to put the installer images in, you have a so called HFS+ formatted image. These won't work with Mac OS prior to 8.1, it only supports HFS.

The best way to make a disk image is to use the Basilisk GUI to create a hard disk file. Give it a name with the .dmg extension (after it's created it will show up in the volumes list in the GUI). Then boot from the system disk image you have, and when presented with a dialog box that asks you to initialize the unknown disk, initialize it.
Stop Basilisk, open the disk image in Mac OSX and copy the files you downloaded from Apple to the image. Close the disk image.
Create a second disk image (on which you will install Mac OS 7.5), start basilisk and initialize the new disk. Then open the disk with the installer parts and open the first image. Choose the new disk image as destination

Good luck,
Cat_7
Havell
Space Cadet

Installing problem

Post by Havell »

Hello. :)

Well, i did what you said, the disk image.dmg opens up with all parts in it, actually shows a blue disk looking thing. I open it, agree with terms, and it's mounting. It's taking half a second longer then it use too, i'm happy "verifying"

"Unable to eecute system 7.5.3"
"This file is invalid and should be replaced"
"(-8819)"

:(

I never get past that error, haha.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I just tried to replay the installation scenario. It seems you have to unpack all the .bin files in OSX prior to starting the installation. The error I got was that the installer was unable to open the other 18 parts...
The installer just finished, so unpacking all the downloaded part.bin files will do the trick. The first part will unpack into an .smi file (self mounting image) and should be started. It will then create a CD image on the desktop to install from.

cat_7