Memory Error upon startup of system 7.5 in B2

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Black Lotus

Memory Error upon startup of system 7.5 in B2

Post by Black Lotus »

I apologize if this issue has been addressed in the past, but I'm fairly new to the Mac emulation community, even more new to Emaculation.

I'm running System 7.5 on Basilisk 2 in XP. When I boot it up, I get a screen at startup saying, "Not enough memory to run *blank line* reboot with extensions off." And wont let me go any further. When I reboot with extensions off, it works fine, but when I turn off each extension in the control panel and reboot in normal mode, it does it again. Does anyone know what this error might be caused by, or possibly even how it can be fixed?

Thanks,
Black Lotus
MaxFrames

Extensions

Post by MaxFrames »

It sounds like there's a particular extension that's giving you problems.
First, check you have assigned enough memory to Basilisk (at least 32 MB, I'd suggest) and that you have picked a right modelID for the ROM you're using (you may experiment with this).
But above all try to enable the extensions one by one, rebooting each time, until you find the guilty extension. Don't enable them all at one time.
Then try to figure out why it causes problems. Maybe post here your results.
Black Lotus

Updated Memory Problem

Post by Black Lotus »

Well, upon suggestion, I manually disabled all extensions in the extensions manager control panel, but upon reboot I got the same error. No extensions were enabled, though when I start it up and disable the extensions with the shift key, it works fine. I've assigned B2 64 megs of ram, and my rom has been identified as a quadra 650, the same as the machine it came from, and that is set in B2 to match. I was thinking that updating to 7.5.5 might stabilize the system a little more, and possibly clear up this problem?

Thanks,
Black Lotus
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

That's exactly your problem. If you want to emulate a 68040 Mac, you must set the Model ID to 14 (or maybe 20) no matter what type Mac the 1 MB ROM came from. Experimenting with other Model IDs may work, but often it creates problems.

Lauri, the Windows Basilisk II developer, has recommended this.

PS: If you are going to update to OS 7.5.5, and see Clockwise being a bastard, read this first: http://forums.delphiforums.com/MacEmula ... msg=1568.1
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »