Upgrade to OS 8.1

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Mothyboy

Upgrade to OS 8.1

Post by Mothyboy »

I run the upgrade program, and it goes fine, until, while it's checking the disk, it says there's an error with the disk that has Mac OS 8 (just a boot disk..heehee) and that it's been fixed. It continues but a moment later it says that it needs to check the System briefcase, but it's locked. I quit installer, unlock it, and run again, but it still has the error and it still does the System-is-locked thing.

Any suggestions? I'll try to post a screen when I can.
Mothyboy

screen 1

Post by Mothyboy »

>_<
Mothyboy

screen 2

Post by Mothyboy »

aie..
Mothyboy

running

Post by Mothyboy »

BTW, it's not installing on a real OS 8, i'm running 7.5.3 with Aaron (appearance manager), and the disk Mac OS 8.1 (os81.hfv) is the commonly known OS 8 boot disk from some site.

Hey, it doesn't hurt to try. :wink:
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

Right.
The Balance Of Judgement
Apple Corer

Buy It

Post by The Balance Of Judgement »

Just Buy OS 8, don't pirate it.

Besides, look on ebay there are a few folks with 7.6.1 on it, which is way better than 8.1 and you can apply Aaron to it and it's just as good.
Mothyboy

Post by Mothyboy »

i know i know, the point is...what's a probable reason there were disk errors? it seems whenever it fixes em it locks everything.

i unlocked everything, kept the disk window open, and it said it couldn't fix it, so i ignored it as planned. it was upgrading..but then it came to something about appearance, something about replacing or something, i think appearance ext or prefs, i dunno.

so then i recopied the os 8 bootdisk to a fresh volume, and what did it say?
"Mac OS 8 must be installed on this disk to use Mac OS 8.1 updrade"
and in the little OS slot it said "No OS installed."

gee, i wonder why -_-