Running Mac OS Setup crashes Basilisk

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

..::| Dave89 |::..
Mac Mechanic

Running Mac OS Setup crashes Basilisk

Post by ..::| Dave89 |::.. »

I've recently installed Mac OS 8.1 on a clean disk image created with HFV Explorer, it runs OK, except when I try to run the Mac OS Setup Installer, it crashes. I'm using Basilisk II Build 142. I have experienced a few more crashes with OS 8.1, if it keeps it up, I'm going back to OS 7.5.5, which runs great, experiencing very few crashes.

Dave
Australia
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Perhaps try another ROM image.

If possible, try using a more recent version of Basilisk. Your version is from the 1990s. There have been a few bug fixes since then.

Meanwhile, System 7 will do everything you need. There are few advantages to using OS 8.1 on a 68K macintosh.
Mac Mechanic

I have a couple other ROM images, I'll try them. If it still crashes too often, I'm going back to my old install of 7.5.5. It does just about everything I want, I just thought I'd try OS 8.1

I did try Basilisk 1.0, same thing.

EDIT: I tried Quadra 900 and 650 ROM images, no difference with the 650, even worse with the 900, Setup Assistant wouldn't even start up with the latter. I'm extremely close to deleting OS 8, and going back to OS 7.5.5.

Dave
Australia
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I never run the setup assistant. It crashes or freezes in OSX versions of both BasiliskII and Sheepshaver, usually at the point where entering network settings should start. After a new installation it starts automatically and I quit the assistant before the crash can occur. The assistant sets elementary settings that can also be set manually in the control panels.
Mac Mechanic

It crashed at exactly that point on the Windows build too.

Dave
Asutralia
Mac Mechanic

iCab keeps crashing in OS 8.1, so I've gone back to OS 7. The only problem with OS 7.5.5, was I had to run it in 256 colors to get the colour backgrounds, which was annoying when viewing photos and websites. Fortunately, installing OS 7.6.1 from a CD I have solved that.

EDIT: iCab crashes in 7.6.1 too. I'm going back to 7.5.5. I'll just have to put up with the 256 colours. I'm not having very much luck here :(

Dave
Asutralia
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

..::| Dave89 |::.. wrote:The only problem with OS 7.5.5, was I had to run it in 256 colors to get the colour backgrounds,
Is this a BasiliskII Windows problem? I can use millions of colours in 7.5.5 in BasiliskII MacOSX fine, with coloured backgrounds.
Mac Mechanic

I'm using build 142, I used to use 1.0, but the blank screen on startup really annoyed me, so I switched to the older version. I can use OS 7.0.1, 7.6.1 and 8.1 with millions of colours and have colour backgrounds, just not with 7.5.5 for some reason.

Dave
Australia
SSS
Granny Smith

Post by SSS »

..::| Dave89 |::.. wrote:I'm using build 142, I used to use 1.0, but the blank screen on startup really annoyed me, so I switched to the older version. I can use OS 7.0.1, 7.6.1 and 8.1 with millions of colours and have colour backgrounds, just not with 7.5.5 for some reason.

Dave
Australia
Build 142 has always had that problem with System 7.5.x. I believe this is fixed in the newest versions of Basilisk II, although I haven't used them in quite a while so I'm not sure.

The only solution would be to use another version besides 7.5.x.
Mac Mechanic

I think I've fixed the problem of OS 8.1 crashing, I downloaded Basilisk II 0.9 JIT R3 and OS 8 seems to run fine in that.

Dave
Australia