What is Basilisk II JIT

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

What is Basilisk II JIT

Post by Guest »

Could someone please inform me about Basilisk II JIT, answering questions like:
1. What is it?
2. What are its advantages (and/or disadvantages) over the "regular" version of Basilisk II?
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

I created a Windows compiled HTML help file (*.chm) to answer a number of questions about Basilisk II and Basilisk II JIT download latest release here.

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the help file. I think a comprehensive help file should be included with the program. However, since I'm rather new to these subjects, there was much I couldn't fathom.
Judging from the extensiveness of the file, it is obvious you have much experience in the field. Could you please tell me how stable the Basilisk II JIT version is under Windows 98. By upgrading, should I expect bugs, more hangups, etc.? Also, if, having installed the Basilisk II JIT version, I encountered some problems, would I be able to downgrade back to the "regular" version?
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

I've been using the JIT version exclusively since the first beta was released. I only use the non-JIT version(s) when running benchtests on all the 68040 emulators (Linux Basilisk II (B2) ports, Fusion PC, SoftMac, Executor). The JIT version isn't anymore unstable then the non-JIT version in my opinion.

Basilisk II primarilly consists of 2 files: BasiliskII.exe and BasiliskIIGUI.exe. The JIT version of Basilisk II is just different versions of these two files. All that is needed to "upgrade" from B2 to B2 JIT is to either replace these two files with the JIT versions ... or more easily, just run Basilisk II JIT from another directory. People have been known in the past to post screenshots of several instances of Basilisk II running at the same time (as long as they aren't using the same hard drive file at the same time).

BTW, you won't see a noticable difference in the speed of booting up, openning/closing folders, etc. using the JIT version. It's speed is seen when running a processor intensive task like decompressing a Stuffit archive or running a filter on an image file. An older set of real world benchtests I ran can be seen here which shows, among other settings, how Basilisk II build 142 compares to a Basilisk II JIT build (2nd release) running on Windows 98 on my old AMD K6-2 500 MHz.

Oh and another note: Basilisk II for Windows is optimized for running on an NT-based OS, so upgrading your Windows OS would make Basilisk II faster and give you a few more features (like playing CDs inside the Mac OS).

Post by Guest »

Thanks, it sounds good. Could you post a link to where I could download the latest version? Thanks again.

Post by Guest »

For Windows 98, that is. Thanks
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

Here's where you get the BasiliskII.exe: http://mes.emuunlim.com/bin/quick_stop/ ... .win32.zip

Then replace the BasiliskIIGUI.exe in the zip file with this updated one: http://mes.emuunlim.com/bin/quick_stop/ ... kiigui.zip

(There's also an installer for B2\JIT here: http://mes.emuunlim.com/bin/quick_stop/ ... kIIJIT.exe )

Post by Guest »

Unfortunately first link (for B2.exe) does not seem to be working. I downloaded the installer (third link). Should I still replace the B2GUI.exe with the one from the second link? I got B2\JIT working but noticed it runs a bit slower than the regular version. Any idea why?
Masmer
Space Cadet

Post by Masmer »

Go to the JIT tab of the BasiliskIIGUI and enable everything. (If your BasiliskIIGUI has a JIT tab, then you don't have to replace it with another BasiliskIIGUI.exe)

Test it out by unstuffing the same 10 MB+ SIT file using both Basilisk II and Basilisk II\JIT and a stop watch.

Post by Guest »

Wow! Now I see the difference! While B2 took approx. 6 3/4 minutes to unstuff a 6.4 Mb archive, B2\JIT did it in approx 2 1/4 minutes!