USB drives are working with BasiliskII

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

niad
Space Cadet

USB drives are working with BasiliskII

Post by niad »

With my BasiliskII I have manage to see my USB flash drives and work with them, but I can't repeat it always...
I have use the USB drives as Floppy disk drives in Basilisk and with Control-Shift-F11 sometimes I see the my flash USB drives with the icon of a Floppy disk.
The trick is to put a CD that can't be read by BasiliskII and force BasiliskII to show the dialog which prompts to initialize the drive, after that, BasiliskII shows the USB drives.
But not always!

Can someone please do something about it? :oops:
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

I gather this is in Windows. A flash drive will show up as a hard disk in the host OS. You can then use the GUI to set the shared drive to that drive. Does that allow you to re-enact the feature you describe?

Cat_7
niad
Space Cadet

Post by niad »

Hello Cat_7
Thank you for the answer :)
Yes, it is BasiliskII with Windows Vista.
It doesn't work as shared drive, because Windows see the drives as empty or in other drive format cases, without the resources of the application, in few words as unreadable files ... :oops:
Any idea?
Galane
Tinkerer

Post by Galane »

Install Frog ASPI
http://www.frogaspi.org/products/frogaspi/index.htm

You'll quickly find out of Basilisk II will work with that ASPI. With XP and older, use the ASPI from Adaptech.

Then see if your USB drive shows up in the SCSI tab. If you get the message asking if you want to initialize the drive, then it worked.

HFS can go up to 4 gig in System 7.5.x and up, though it's very inefficient over 2 gig volume size.

Make sure the USB drive is formatted FAT16 if you want to reformat it as HFS. If you're running 8.1, try formatting your USB drive as FAT32 and initializing it to HFS+ in Basilisk.

Make sure you do NOT have windows Explorer showing the contents of the USB drive before launching Basilisk.

If you're running a defragmenter or antivirus or any other program that scans removable drives, Unlocker can pry it loose.

http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/ I use O&O Defrag and it's always grabbing my USB drives and refusing to let go when I use the Safely Remove menu option. So I rightclick, click Unlocker and force it to let go.
niad
Space Cadet

Post by niad »

Thank you very much for the answer! :)
I have "install" the renamed FrogAspi.dll into WnAspi32.dll in my computer/c:/windows/system32/

Though, Frog Rights gives the following error :
"n'est pas une valeur booleenne.
Then opens the window of Frog Rights, but everything are "gray" there, I can't select no option...

I open the BasiliskI GUI and my USB drives doesn't show in the scsi tab... they show only the Floppy tab.

I open BasiliskII I hit "control-shift-F11" and WHAT A MIRACLE!!! after that it shows ALL MY USB DRIVES!!!

Look at this screenshot (3 USB drives showing as floppies):

http://www.adni18.com/WEB/BasiliskII-USB.jpg

Now everything works fine with "control-shift-F11" it loads my "extented format" USB drives!!!

THANK YOU!!! :)
niad
Space Cadet

Post by niad »

It needs something more to have stable USB support from BasiliskII , because Windows want to take control of Mac USB drives and format them, so you need something to cancel this action, as for example "MacDrive", then everything work great!

BasiliskII is still the best emulation program for 68k Mac.

P.S. SheepShaver doesn't work with USB drives...