Disk image becomes read-only after Initialization

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

Disk image becomes read-only after Initialization

Post by CaptainValor »

I am attempting to install 7.5.3 in Basilisk II following these instructions: http://macscene.net/wiki/index.php/Basi ... etup_Guide

However, no matter what disk image I create for the hard drive, as soon as I get through the "Initialize" process, I cannot write to the disk when I mount it in OS X (it's listed as read-only). This is obviously keeping me from copying the 7.5.3 installation files to it.

What should I do?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Starting with Snow Leopard, Apple disabled writing to HFS volumes. This does indeed make it impossible to copy the 19 image fragments in Snow Leopard OSX to the HFS formatted volume for BasiliskII. And up to MacOS 8.1 the MacOS system can only use HFS formatted volumes.

Either find a machine with an earlier MacOSX version to copy the files, or find a system install CD. If you have a later MacOS install CD, you could consider SheepShaver. SheepShaver emulates a PPC Mac and can run (depending on the used rom file) 7.5.3 through 9.0.4 or 8.5 through 9.0.4.
CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

Post by CaptainValor »

Ah yes! I never thought to do the transfer using SheepShaver. Although I'm unsure how to create a disk image file compatible with OS 9. What would be the best way to do that?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I do not understand your question. You will need to setup SheepShaver completely with installed system, for instance with MacOS9. See the SheepShaver forum and sticky topic with latest build.

Maybe SheepShaver will do what you wanted to do with BasiliskII, but if you still want to create a 7.5.3 installation for BasiliskII, you can create an extra volume (disk image) with SheepShaver and format that one HFS (not HFS+). You can write the 19 parts from within SheepShaver onto that volume.