NAT-Router crashes

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

MaxFrames

NAT-Router crashes

Post by MaxFrames »

Hi,
since our LAN has ran out of IP addresses, and we are not using DHCP but static addressing, I am forced to assign to Basilisk the same IP address used by Windows (until now I had used two different IP addresses, and a fake hardware address for Basilisk II).
I understand that one way of doing this is enabling the NAT-Router feature in Basilisk. Of course I have read the NAT-Router FAQs.
Now, if I enable NAT and at the same time disable Ethernet on the Basilisk GUI, I find that I can connect to the Internet (http and ping seem to work), but I cannot browse the Appletalk network (if I click on Chooser-Appleshare I see nothing instead of a list of nodes).
If I enable both NAT and Ethernet in the Basilisk GUI, serious problems appear in the form of Windows blue screens with errors related to the Basilisk Ethernet driver having performed illegal operations. Windows then hangs and I have to CTRL-ALT-CANC or bruteforce shutdown the PC.
I have tried different Ethernet settings (fake hardware address on or off, different multicast modes etc.) but to no avail, the only thing that changes being the moment at which the blue screen appears (right after booting the MacOS, or randomly, or when I try to use Appletalk...).
My operating system is Windows 98, first edition with all the patches.
Any idea? Any other way to share the same IP address with Windows? 8O
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

I lost a good job after knocking down a company's network using Basilisk II Ethernet on a static IP network.

The only way to use AppleTalk in your situation is to use winipcfg/ipconfig to /release the IP under Windows, then boot up Basilisk II which will grab the IP address. But Windows won't have access to the network until you quit Basilisk II and /refresh the IP.
MaxFrames

OK

Post by MaxFrames »

Excluding Windows from using TCP/IP while i use Basilisk is no problem. So I will take your advice. But really, did you lost a job for using Basilisk on Ethernet? What happened? Basilisk II Ethernet works fine for me, provided that I use a separate IP address for the emulator. I can use TCP/IP and the Appletalk network, even logging on a Windows NT server with the infamous "Services for Macintosh" and doing some file sharing. And I can print directly on networked printers. Thanks anyway :wink:
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

I was on a static IP network and used the NAT\Router (or Ethernet - I can't remember) and chose an IP address that turned out to be the Primary Domain Controller's IP for our multi-billion dollar company. It knocked down half the local (Florida) division's LAN (including the entire administrative wing, president too) and knocked down the hub that headquarters (Chicago) used for getting on the Internet. The local MIS deparment claimed I was a hacker (despite me explaining the situation being a grave mistake) and I was soon fired. When Lauri found out about this event, he included the following warning in the "Basilisk II Windows port NAT/Router FAQ":

"3. The IP address can be any legal address, but don't use the same IP address that you have in Windows. It's always best to ask your network administrator for a unique ip address, because you may later disable the NAT/Router module and possibly cause an ip address conflict on your network."

I haven't had a good job since.
MaxFrames

It does not work

Post by MaxFrames »

:?
I have tried to "ipconfig /release_all" but it does not work (Windows retains the IP address). After a brief run on Google I have found that the /release and /renew switches are only used in a DHCP environment, to discard the IP address dynamically leased by the DHCP server and to obtain another. We are using a range fixed IP addresses with no DHCP. So I'm still stuck. I really need a method to make NAT-Router work so that Windows and MacOS can share the same connection without crashing each other. It doesn't mind if the Windows connection doesn't work while I'm on Basilisk.
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

The only thing I can think of is drastic ... uninstall (temporarilly) TCP/IP on Windows letting the BasiliskII Ethernet protocol bind with the NIC. You can always reinstall (no CD required) TCP/IP again when you're done with BasiliskII/AppleTalk (I'm guessing ... there might be a snag or two recovering the IP for Windows use).
The Balance Of Judgement
Apple Corer

Router

Post by The Balance Of Judgement »

Certianly a tough decision.

My machine has Dual NICs which makes it easier for Basilisk II. Windows retains it's internet and Basilisk gets it's own. The advantage with a second NIC is that Basilisk and Windows are seperate.

As for your situation, maybe a second NIC would help, at least to prevent Windows and Basilisk from getting tied up over the same NIC. (When browsing appletalk networks, the Basilisk machine would have it's own dedicated NIC, so no errors with the Windows NIC)

As for internet, I have only use the NAT/Router feature at home, so using it in a network like that would be risky when IP's are fixed.
MaxFrames

Everything goes

Post by MaxFrames »

It turned out that in a short while we should be obtaining a wider range of fixed IPs so my problem will eventually fade away :wink:
Anyway, the Basilisk' offline help file and the help windows seem to imply that if one enables NAT and disables Ethernet, he can browse the Internet (via TCP/IP, routed through the Windows connection) but he can't browse the Appletalk network (since this relies not on TCP/IP but on the Appletalk driver, shipped with Basilisk). If one needs to browse both, he should enable both NAT and Ethernet, with the advantage that one IP address (the one set in Windows) would be used (all TCP/IP connections use the NAT router while Appletalk connections use the Basilisk Ethernet driver).
At least this is how I understand it, but it doesn't work for me, I get blue screens of death, but then again I'm on Windows 98 and Basilisk for win32 was designed primarily for Windows NT... maybe I've found a bug but it's not likely someone will fix it. Thanks anyway for the help. :wink: