UNIX Shared folder works, yet it doesn't (Mac)

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Vitoarc
Space Cadet

UNIX Shared folder works, yet it doesn't (Mac)

Post by Vitoarc »

Hi All,

I've set up Basilisk 2 on my PB G4 three times with success. I've got 3 instances of B2 saved and working on my machine.

On the fourth try, no matter what I've done, I can't get the UNIX folder to mount on the desktop. I've isolated my previous three setups with separate folders for the hidden preference files, and I've used all new GUI's to launch the three virtual machines (which are all located in different places on my HD as well as an external firewire HD).

So I'm starting out with no preference files under my Home, with a new GUI, and I still can't get the UNIX folder to mount on the desktop of my fourth emulator.

I've spent hours trouble shooting and am lost for any answers. Does anyone know what is going on?

Thanks for the help!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: UNIX Shared folder works, yet it doesn't (Mac)

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Vitoarc wrote:I've isolated my previous three setups with separate folders for the hidden preference files,
Do you mean you set up BasiliskII for three different users? With BasiliskII on MacOSX, the hidden prefs file will always be the file ".basilisk_ii_prefs" at root level in your Home folder, regardless where the BasiliskII files are located. If you use the three sets while logged into MacOSX as the same user, they will share the same prefs file.
and I've used all new GUI's to launch the three virtual machines (which are all located in different places on my HD as well as an external firewire HD).
One needs to launch BasiliskII from a GUI application to save (changed) settings. After that, BasiliskII can be launched directly.
So I'm starting out with no preference files under my Home, with a new GUI, and I still can't get the UNIX folder to mount on the desktop of my fourth emulator.
Did you install the same system version? Unlike in 7.5.x and later, the Unix volume (shared folder) may not appear in System 7. If you installed 7.5.3 or later, are you sure that the path to the shared folder is set correctly in the GUI application?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

You can easily compare the content of different prefs files by opening them in TextEdit.

You can open the currently used prefs file in TextEdit by typing in Terminal:

Code: Select all

open .basilisk_ii_prefs
Vitoarc
Space Cadet

Post by Vitoarc »

Hi Ronald!

I'm sorry if I was not clear. I set up 3 instances of Basilisk, all for the same user. Me.

I created a 7.5.3 O/S, then I isolated the associated preferences (which are set by the GUI at launch) in a folder outside of my Home directory. In other words, after the first build, the two hidden files under Home were taken out, and the GUI that was associated with these preferences was saved as well.

I then used a "fresh" GUI for another creation of another O/S. After the second O/S was created (again the prefs were created under my Home), I again moved the preference files, and again kept the GUI for the second instance, moving the GUI to a safe location as I did the first time.

I then repeated this procedure for a third build of Basilisk, under my name again. Again, no problem. UNIX folder shows up on the desktop.

The FOURTH time I tried this (I was trying to work with 4 slightly different O/S configurations obviously) was when the UNIX file would not show up on the desktop, no matter what.

By removing the preference file from my Home directory, and creating new versions, I assumed I was creating NEW preference files in that location, since there was nothing there to begin with. And now that you mention it, I just checked. The saved preference files, that I had locked away in a .dmg, are in fact different (showing different CPU's, HD size etc etc etc).

So I am actually running 3 separate instances of Basilisk, under my Home folder, using three different preference files, although the preference files and associated GUI's are only used one set at a time, while the other sets remain locked inside a .dmg file.

I doubt that I am pointing to the wrong location of the UNIX file in the fourth instance. I've checked, and re-checked countless times. I've also tried to set different locations for the shared folder, and nothing has gotten the UNIX folder to show up in the fourth instance.

I'm not sure if this is a quirk in sharing, under Tiger (10.4.11), or something inherent to Basilisk that will not allow me to create a fourth instance.

I am not really looking for a solution to this unique situation. I just want to shed some light on this, and I'm just curious if this is something that has been brought up before. If so, obviously I'd like to know if there is a work around.

Thanks.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

That puzzles me too.
As Ronald has pointed out, starting an installation from a 7.0 floppy disk image is the only way you can be sure that the shared folder doesn't appear.
The way you isolated the installations should make sure new preferences and pram files are used every time. There should be no limit to the number of Basilisk installations you can make.
However, I do assume the set-ups are similar in respect to the location of the shared folder?

Can you copy the content of a working and non-working prefs file? Which OS are you starting in those instances?

Best,
Cat_7
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

I am very much puzzled about what you did or what you tried to do.
Vitoarc wrote:I created a 7.5.3 O/S, then I isolated the associated preferences (which are set by the GUI at launch) in a folder outside of my Home directory. In other words, after the first build, the two hidden files under Home were taken out, and the GUI that was associated with these preferences was saved as well.

I then used a "fresh" GUI for another creation of another O/S. After the second O/S was created (again the prefs were created under my Home), I again moved the preference files, and again kept the GUI for the second instance, moving the GUI to a safe location as I did the first time.
There is absolutely no point in moving a used GUI application to a "safe" location and using a "fresh" one. You can move the hidden prefs file out of your Home folder and the GUI application will start again as if it was never used. The GUI application does not change when used and no matter where it resides or where from it is launched (even if launched from a mounted dmg), it will always write or read the prefs file at root level in the current user's Home folder.
By removing the preference file from my Home directory, and creating new versions, I assumed I was creating NEW preference files in that location, since there was nothing there to begin with.
That is correct.
So I am actually running 3 separate instances of Basilisk, under my Home folder, using three different preference files, although the preference files and associated GUI's are only used one set at a time, while the other sets remain locked inside a .dmg file.
There is no specific association between a copy of the GUI application and the prefs file it created. Running BasiliskII with a different prefs file is only possible when you move that prefs file back to your Home folder.
I'm not sure if this is a quirk in sharing, under Tiger (10.4.11), or something inherent to Basilisk that will not allow me to create a fourth instance.
Even when you create a hundred different setups, BasiliskII will only be aware of the one prefs file in your Home folder.

You did not mention which version or build of BasiliskII you use. You repeatedly mention the GUI, but never mention BasiliskII itself. Could it be that you use a version by Nigel Pearson that has the GUI integrated into BasiliskII?

You also did not mention the system from which you startup. If it is System 7, the Unix folder will not appear on the BasiliskII desktop. If it is 7.5.3 or later, post here the content of your current prefs file (open it in TextEdit, copy the content and paste it here).
Vitoarc
Space Cadet

Post by Vitoarc »

I used different versions of the GUI just to be safe, and only did this when I came across the problem with the fourth instance (trying to isolate any potential conflicts). There is no harm in using four different, isolated GUI's I would assume.

Sorry about not reporting the details of the app. I am using Basiliskll Version 1.0.20091004 The GUI that came with the download is Version Basilisk ll 1.0, Mac OS X port 17.

I used DiskTools_MacOS8 to startup the fourth instance, and then attempted to install OS 7.5 from an original Power Macintosh 6100 series-7100 series -8100 series CD. After this install, in the fourth instance, the UNIX folder did not show up.

However, after not being able to create a successful fourth instance, I went back and used a previous successful install, where OS 7.5.3 was installed, and where the UNIX folder was appearing on the desktop. I initialized my virtual HD (7.5.3) by booting from DiskTools, and then successfully installed the 6-7-8100 System 7.5 on that previous build. The UNIX folder appeared at that point, just as it had previously when the OS was 7.5.3.

I'll be glad to copy the working content of the working and non working preference files and paste them into this thread.
Vitoarc
Space Cadet

Post by Vitoarc »

Here you go. Following these directions, http://emaculation.com/doku.php/basiliskii_osx_setup, I tried to create another (fourth) instance.

Again, the UNIX folder does not show up (immediately following the initialization of the HD (Test HD-1000 MB) and the temporary Disk (Installer-100 MB). This is where there should appear (5) desktop icons (which includes Startup Volume, HD, Trash, Disk for Installer, UNIX volume).

This time I used Network Access Disk (OS8) as the Startup Volume. Again, I had no hidden preferences in my Home folder prior to build.

Here is a WORKING preference file:

disk /Users/Vito/BasiliskHD/MacOS761
extfs /Users/Vito/BasiliskApp/Shared
screen dga/800/600
seriala
serialb
ether slirp
udptunnel false
udpport 6066
rom /Users/Vito/BasiliskApp/Mac OS ROM
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 268435456
frameskip 2
modelid 14
cpu 4
fpu true
nocdrom false
nosound false
noclipconversion false
nogui false
jit false
jitfpu false
jitdebug false
jitcachesize 0
jitlazyflush false
jitinline false
keyboardtype 5
keycodes true
keycodefile /Users/Vito/BasiliskApp/BasiliskII_keycodes
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
dsp /dev/dsp
mixer /dev/mixer
ignoresegv false
idlewait true

Here is the recent NON WORKING preference file for the build above that did not produce the UNIX file:

disk /Users/Vito/1 Basilisk (can delete)/HD/Network Access.image
disk /Users/Vito/1 Basilisk (can delete)/HD/Test HD
disk /Users/Vito/1 Basilisk (can delete)/HD/Install
extfs /Users/Vito/1 Basilisk (can delete)/App/Shared
screen win/512/384
seriala
serialb
ether slirp
udptunnel false
udpport 6066
rom /Users/Vito/1 Basilisk (can delete)/App/Mac OS ROM
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 134217728
frameskip 6
modelid 5
cpu 2
fpu false
nocdrom false
nosound false
noclipconversion false
nogui false
jit false
jitfpu false
jitdebug false
jitcachesize 0
jitlazyflush false
jitinline false
keyboardtype 5
keycodes true
keycodefile /Users/Vito/1 Basilisk (can delete)/App/BasiliskII_keycodes
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
dsp /dev/dsp
mixer /dev/mixer
ignoresegv true
idlewait true
Vitoarc
Space Cadet

Post by Vitoarc »

I don't know if this is significant or not, but when I try to use the *same* (failed-no UNIX on desktop) build as above, only substituting DiskTools_MacOS8 as the Startup Volume, I cannot launch Basilisk but get a message and am directed to "Restart".
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

This first led me to think that the problem is in the Mac OS 6100/7100/8100 software you used for that forth installation, but you report being able to install that version succesfully after booting with the disktools image over an existing working version.

We normally advise to use a cd with a universal installation on it. Those are the ones with the yellow/orange number on them. It surprises me Basilisk allowed you to install these different versions at all! But then, perhaps Basilisk is not as picky as SheepShaver when it comes to Mac OS versions.

I believe the network access image you used in the non-working example is to blame. Am I right in concluding you only have this problem when booting from a floppy disk image and not when booting from the Mac OS virtual hard disk?
The Network access floppy disk image and the system 7 starter disk image don't show the unix folder (they are both system 7.0 disks, something which is needed when installing 753 from the 19 installer parts downloadable from Apple. However, when you have CD version of the OS, the unix disk is not needed at installation, but should nevertheless appear after installation when you boot from the virtual hard disk.

About your latest post: The restart said: something like: your disk is not suitable for this machine? If so, please try to set the mac model and OS type in the preferences editor. There are options to select the processor and the mac os that is going to be installed. You rom file should support the desired Mac OS version.

Best,
Cat_7
Vitoarc
Space Cadet

Post by Vitoarc »

"However, after not being able to create a successful fourth instance, I went back and used a previous successful install, where OS 7.5.3 was installed, and where the UNIX folder was appearing on the desktop. I initialized my virtual HD (7.5.3) by booting from DiskTools, and then successfully installed the 6-7-8100 System 7.5 on that previous build. The UNIX folder appeared at that point, just as it had previously when the OS was 7.5.3."

CLARIFICATION:

Please keep in mind that this did not create a fourth instance of B2; I modified a previous working version (with UNIX) and updated the OS to 7.6.1. Bottom line: I still only had 3 working instances of Basilisk 2.
Vitoarc
Space Cadet

Post by Vitoarc »

Cat_7:

Thanks. I made the change in the GUI so that I could startup from DiskTools_MacOS8 instead of the Network Access Disk. This is the ONLY change I made in the GUI (Mac Model & CPU) except for using DiskTools.

Once I was able to launch Basilisk, the UNIX folder showed up on the desktop.

It appears that using the Network Access Disk instead of DiskTools is indeed the culprit.

I'm sure that if there were a clarification in the Installation Directions

http://emaculation.com/doku.php/basiliskii_osx_setup

that the Network Access Disk will NOT work, this can be avoided in the future.

While it's true that I did not follow the written directions to the exact letter, I was mislead by Apple's statement that the NAD will startup any system, and since I already had a copy, I used it. Obviously I never made the connection until now that using the NAD would prevent the UNIX folder from showing up.

Thanks for the help!
Vitoarc
Space Cadet

Post by Vitoarc »

One last thing. I downloaded the NAD from here:

http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Su ... .5.sea.bin

Notice that it is a 7.5 OS. Again, this is what lead me to believe that it would work with a 7.5 installation in Basilisk ll.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Ok, it seems your problem is solved. Our guide specifies using the disk tools 8 floppy just because of the problem you encountered. I will add a warning for any not following the guide to the letter that this can happen.

Best,
Cat_7
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

@ Vitoarc
Just wondering: Why did you try to use the Network Access Disk while the guide describes the use of the DiskTools_MacOS8.image for initial setup and using that image worked for you?
Vitoarc
Space Cadet

Post by Vitoarc »

Good question Ron. On the fourth instance, where I deviated from the set Directions (where I decided to try installing from the 7100 PPC Disk first instead of using the Disk Images for 7.5.3) I now know that I had incorrectly set the CPU in the GUI. This is when I could not get Basilisk to run. I was determined to try to get the 7100 PPC specific software installed, and knowing that the NAD would allow me to boot anything (according to Apple) I made the wrong choice to use that, instead of the recommended DiskTools. The NAD worked and I thought I was well on my way to my goal.

When the UNIX folder failed to show up on the desktop, I then concentrated on that, what can I do to fix things at *that point* rather than looking back taking a hard look at my deviation from DiskTools in the first place.

I guess I know enough to be dangerous. While it's true that as long as you can launch Basilisk, you should be able to install the software that you need and then delete the initial startup disk, so it shouldn't matter what you use to startup Basilisk in the first place. However this all is only true if you can install all of your software from a CD and are not in need of the UNIX folder.