Roms - Help

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Tempus
Space Cadet

Roms - Help

Post by Tempus »

ok, im new at this, and im running windows, so please don't flame me.
i need to find a mac rom, and im not sure where to get it. i don't have any access to a mac to copy one, so, if someone could point me in the right direction, that would be cool

thanks
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

That would be cool, but illegal in the U.S. and most other countries. So I can't help you besides advising you to check eBay for an old, cheap 68040 Mac (with monitor, keyboard and mouse). "We" can confirm if a certain model will work.
Thyth

Post by Thyth »

Didn't someone create a boot floppy diskette that would auto-boot, grab the ROM image and save it on a disk? At that point, you could take pretty much any 68040 mac(with monitor or without), and get an image off of it.
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

I believe it couldn't do all of those things because the floppy disk doesn't have space left over for a 1 MB (or even 512k) ROM image.

I already tried making a minimal boot floppy disk using some System stripper tool and the Finder replacement trick. Still not enough room left over for a ROM.
Thyth

Post by Thyth »

Well, I thought I heard someone did, perhaps I heard wrong.
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

Thyth

Post by Thyth »

Ah, I heard right. I downloaded a copy in case the site ever goes down(and people need it).
polachok

Post by polachok »

That would be cool, but illegal in the U.S. and most other countrie
Why?
Marc
Master Emulator

Post by Marc »

Because the ROM is copyright material. Distribution of an image of teh ROM of a macintosh computer is illegal in America and most other countries. The use of the ROM image itself is of dubious legality as well.

Thus it would be illegal for someone on this board to distrubute the ROM image or point someone in it's direction.
polachok

Post by polachok »

but can i use one of these images?
[HEAD!!!!!!!]
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

I think most of the roms on that site have been relesed for free, but if there is a link to a rom, you can download it and use it.

i don't know if i should provide this link but you can find plenty of roms and mac os at (bink)

and (bonk)

hope that helps

stephen
Marc
Master Emulator

Post by Marc »

[TAILS!!!!!!]

Only if you own the computers from which the roms are taken
phirkel
Apple Corer

Post by phirkel »

Lousy fuckin' pirates.
aafuss
Tinkerer

Post by aafuss »

What abut Australia-mod chips is not legal , but I have no info whether there is a provisaion for rom images/
phirkel
Apple Corer

Post by phirkel »

It has to do with the license for the ROM. Apple hasn't licensed it to you, it is their IP. Therefore, it is illegal under any copyright jurisdiction that recognizes the US's copyright claims (many countries do).

Post by Guest »

AFAIK in Russia it is quite legal to get and distribute ROM file without any violations (becuase of lack in Russian laws) for free. So seek in Russian emulatin forums/sites. I repeat: threr it is not a piracy, it is _legal_.
Diffused Mind
Student Driver

Post by Diffused Mind »

You can get 680x0 Mac's really cheap off of eBay. I got a Performa 460 for like $14 and a PowerBook 145b for like $20. And the fact that you might actually use these systems, as I do. :)
The Balance Of Judgement
Apple Corer

Post by The Balance Of Judgement »

Most schools are throwing out old Macs, so you can probably get one for free. That's how I got my first LC II. It was being thrown out and it was perfect shape.
moothecow2k
Space Cadet

Post by moothecow2k »

Noob here.
Sorry to revive a dead topic, but here goes.
Using mac roms is dubious at best, but anyway.
I'm looking into doing some mac programming, so I figure emulation is the cheapest way to go.

Would anyone like to comment on the legality of creating the BIOS ROM image of a school lab mac? Breaking the law is bad. I'll settle for buying a cruddy old mac on eBay or something, but this is the easiest way. Comments?
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

Our mantra is that you need to own the Mac who's ROM you are using to be at least ethically, if not legally, doing the right thing. Every ROM image has an Apple copyright embedded in it which you can view with a hex editor or even notepad or wordpad.
Ciki
Student Driver

Post by Ciki »

Hi,

Diffused Mind says

"You can get 680x0 Mac's really cheap off of eBay. I got a Performa 460 for like $14 and a PowerBook 145b for like $20. And the fact that you might actually use these systems, as I do. "

I really do not belive that. Complete system - monitor, case, keyboard for just $14 or laptop for $20.
I want one piece.

If that is true, can be shipped to Europe ?

Thanks,

Ciki
moothecow2k
Space Cadet

Post by moothecow2k »

I'm currently looking at the following system:

Power Mac G3/Power PC, 266MHz, comes with HD, floppy drive, network card, CD-ROM. Is this system suitably emulatable on Basilisk II?
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

No. It needs to be a machine which has a Motorola 68k processor. The Macintosh Quadra 900 is supposed to be godd for basiliskII.