OS X 10.11 (El Capitan), Basilisk II, tuntap, & networking 2

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

jollyroger
Student Driver

OS X 10.11 (El Capitan), Basilisk II, tuntap, & networking 2

Post by jollyroger »

My previous post is inaccessible due to a phpBB configuration issue. So I am posting this new thread just to update you on the solution.

In my initial post I described installing Basilisk II (BasiliskII_32bit-etherhelper-SDL.zip) and tuntaposx (tuntap_20150118.tar.gz) in OS X 10.11 (El Capitan), but finding that networking was not functioning properly within Basilisk II. The Basilisk II and tuntaposx installations looked fine, and I could see that both started up properly; but when Basilisk II started up, it would fail to create the proper tuntaposx interface needed for networking.

It turns out that in OS X 10.11, you need to temporarily disable System Integrity Protection (SIP):

1. Reboot while holding Command-R to start up on the OS X recovery partition.
2. Run Utilities > Terminal.
3. Enter the 'csrutil disable' command.
4. Reboot normally.
5. Run Basilisk II to allow it to configure the tuntaposx interface while SIP is disabled.
6. Re-enable SIP (with 'csrutil enable').
7 Reboot normally again.

Once you do this, Basilisk will be able to set up the tuntaposx interface from that point onward, and everything is peachy. :)
Last edited by jollyroger on Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: OS X 10.11 (El Capitan), Basilisk II, tuntap, & networki

Post by adespoton »

Ah; I was right :) Good to know.
rickyzhang
Apple Corer

Post by rickyzhang »

Thanks for sharing! SIP in El Captain also disable tsocks, which hooking system library at the run time. It took me quite some time to find it out why.

I'm curious how Mac VPN software by pass SIP without disable it.
There is an App for that!
https://github.com/rickyzhang82
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

rickyzhang wrote:Thanks for sharing! SIP in El Captain also disable tsocks, which hooking system library at the run time. It took me quite some time to find it out why.

I'm curious how Mac VPN software by pass SIP without disable it.
Mac VPN software uses the VPN APIs that are baked-in to the OS, so there's no bypass needed, unless you roll your own network interface.