Does Basilisk run on XP?

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

dsf260

Does Basilisk run on XP?

Post by dsf260 »

I'm new to the emulation scene...decided to look into it when my parents said they were going to throw out my old IIcx and LC that I my sister and I left in the basement.

Anyway, it seems like Basilisk II with the JIT compiler is considered the best emulator available, but I can't find any verification that it runs well with Windows XP. I have looked everywhere, and the docs/boards all refer to NT (and sometimes 2000), but no mention of XP compatibility.

Getting at least 512KB rom images shouldn't be a problem, as the LC (and IIcx) still boot up fine.

Thanks for the help.

Darren
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

Yes, it works on Windows XP. Though you should shut off XP's themes when running it to avoid possible lock ups. Just use my tutorial on setting up Basilisk II on Windows 2000 (Pardon any popups. I'm building a new site at a new location for Basilisk II and SheepShaver.): http://mes.emuunlim.com/macemu/basilisk ... 2setup.htm

If you get stuck anywhere, just ask.
Last edited by Mac Emu on Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dsf260

Thanks for the quick response

Post by dsf260 »

I'll rip a rom image file this weekend and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again
dsf260

Running smoothly

Post by dsf260 »

I ran over to my parents and ripped a rom image from the LC and got Basilisk up and running.

I decided to install the non-JIT version, because it seems that it is more stable. Everything seems to run just fine. It's exiciting seeing the apple menu again, even though all I can do is change the colors of icons right now. My Athlon XP 1500+ laptop runs the emulator much much faster than the LC or IIcx that I have. I haven't played around with the networking stuff yet, but it looks promising.

I never had a monitor bigger than 704 by 512 (640 x 480 extended with an init) so 800x600 is a great change. 7.5.3 looks so dated though....

I'll spend some time transferring my old software over in the next couple of weeks...I can't imagine using Word 5.1 again or playing the original SimCity. I wonder if I could leverage my old Office install into a upgrade version for the PC?

One quesiton. I currently have a Brother MFC-3100c printer hooked up to a router. There is a driver for 8.5 available from brother, but not for any earler MacOS versions.

My guess is that there is no native PPC code in the driver...I beleive all of the print routines remained in 680x0 code until OS X, although I could be wrong about this. The 8.5 limitation is probably due to the lack of USB ports on older Macs, and not the use of a RISC processor.

Assuming that the driver would work in 8.1 (a BIG assumption), that I can legally get a copy of a ROM to run it, and I decide to go out and find a copy of 8.1, how do I print to a USB port? Can I map a COM port to it?

The printer is also hooked up to a DLink Router with a print server...Can I print to that? It will accept "port" printing, and there is a basic way to set up an OS X driver to do that, but I don't know if that will work for older versions of MacOS. Currently I have a "DLink port" installed to print XP docs which works pretty well.

Any ideas? On the possibility of running an 8.5 driver in 8.1?

Thanks for the help.

Darren
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

If it's a USB printer, it will not work under Basilisk II. No USB devices work under 68k Macs or Mac emulators. Sorry. Parallel port-based printers usually work however, using a 68k driver or a few tricks.
dsf260

Additional info on Brother printer

Post by dsf260 »

The printer has a USB and a parallel port. I have the parallel port hooked up to the Dlink router, and the USB hooked up to nothing.

I just assumed that the best path to print would be through the USB, but maybe it's the parallel port?

Thanks for the response.

Darrne
dsf260

Surfing net with a wireless connection w/ BII...

Post by dsf260 »

I'm using the built in router with my 802.11b card, and it works perfectly. Netscape 3.0b has its share of java errors, but I am very suprised how simple this was. I am posting this message through Basilisk without any problems.

Amazing
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

Congratulations. :)

Web browsers under Basilisk II are slow. But if you are on a good connection, downloads and FTP are fast.

My website has a number of 68k programs that run on Basilisk II. http://mes.emuunlim.com/software/index.htm

Have fun!