Increasing hard drive space in Basilisk II

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Jack Reynolds
Space Cadet

Increasing hard drive space in Basilisk II

Post by Jack Reynolds »

Hello,

I've recently set up Basilisk II on my PC, and I am now looking to increase the amount of hard drive space that I have, if possible. 66.8 MB are currently in use, with 129.9 MB remaining, and I am looking to increase the size of the drive to at least 1 GB. Please can someone let me know if this is possible, and, if it is, how to do it.

Thanks,

Jack.
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Increasing hard drive space in Basilisk II

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Yes, that is possible. Just make a new disk image of 1Gb with the GUI, let BasiliskII initialise it at start up. You now have two disks. Copy all content from your current disk to the new one. Next, check whether the system folder on the new disk has the typical system folder icon. If so, you can shut down and remove the old disk from your volumes list. Basilisk will then start from the new disk. If not, open and close the new system folder to make the typical icon reappear and shut down, remove the old disk from the volumes list and start again.

Best,
Cat_7
Jack Reynolds
Space Cadet

Post by Jack Reynolds »

Hello,

Thanks for replying to my message. Please can you take me through, step by step, how to create a new drive using the GUI? I created the first one using HFVExplorer, so I don't really know what I'm doing. Hopefully I'll be okay after that.

Is it okay if I make the new drive 10 GB in size? I have over 120 GB of free space on my C: drive.

I've noticed that the cursor is a little sluggish on the emulated Mac's desktop. Will this continue to be the case when I'm running programs (I haven't run any programs yet)?

I've also noticed that when I go to the "File" or "Special" menu, or any of the other menus, almost the entire CPU is used up. Will this continue to be the case when I'm running programs?

Talk to you soon,

Jack.
Jack Reynolds
Space Cadet

Post by Jack Reynolds »

I've just looked at the guide I used to set up Basilisk II: http://emaculation.com/doku.php/basilisk_ii_setup , and I used HFVExplorer to begin with, followed by the GUI. Should I do the exact same thing again and use the guide to help me? Please let me know.

Thanks,

Jack.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

If you BasiliskIIGUI.exe works, then that is the easiest way to go.
Start the BasiliskIIGUI. It brings you to the Volumes pane, where you see the disks that you already have set. Below the list of volumes is a button "Create". Click it. The window Create Hardfile appears. Navigate to the folder in which you want the new disk created (if needed).
Next, enter a Size (in MB). For maximum compatibility do not enter more than 2000.
At Selection (Folder name) enter the name for the new disk. (lets say "MacOS7.5_2000.hfv").
And click OK.

Wait a while. After this disk has been created, you will be returned to the Volumes list in the GUI. You new disk will show up as last disk in the list.

Start BasiliskII. It will come across the new disk and will ask you to initialise it. Do so. Give the disk a name and choose Mac OS Standard as type. After initialisation, the disk will be available on your desktop. You can then follow the procedure in my earlier post wrt copying all data from your original disk to the new one.

Once finished, stop BasiliskII, start the BasiliskIIGUI. Select the old disk in the preferences panel and click Remove (this will not deleted the old disk file from your computer, you will have to do that manually after you know the transfer was successful). Start BasiliskII. If everything went well, you now have a bigger disk to start from.

In the same way you can add other new empty disks to Basilisk. Please keep a backup of working disks.

Best,
Cat_7
Jack Reynolds
Space Cadet

Post by Jack Reynolds »

Hello,

Thanks for replying. Sorry it's taken me a while to reply, I've only just now got round to attempting to finish setting up Basilisk II. I've created the new drive using the GUI, but Basilisk II doesn't come across it. This is the second time I've created the drive because the first time I did it, it disappeared from the list of volumes. Please can you let me know what I need to do now.

Thanks,

Jack.
Silent Flamer
Master Emulator

Post by Silent Flamer »

You CAN make it go up to 10GB, but I don't think you'd be able to fill the disk that much. Sounds a bit overkill.

1 or 2GB seems spacious enough.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Its possible to use huge disk images, but one will hardly need the storage.
The disk images need the whole e.g 6BG room on your HDD, filled with files or empty.
(I´m disregarding sparse bundle images here on purpose.)
If you still want to try, you can use the well known 6GB file here: http://www.emaculation.com/pearpc/macosx_6gb.rar

Note that the rar file can take literally hours to inflate on your PC.
Once expanded add it to the volumes GUI in BII and initialize it HFS Standard.

Personally I do prefer image files from 500MB to 2GB for bootable System drives, application drives and storage volumes.
These sizes can be easily moved around on various hosts - even on FAT32 Sticks. :)

Adam P
Tinkerer

Post by Adam P »

Here is, perhaps, an easier tip:

If HFVExplorer is installed, and the .HFV and/or .DSK file types are recognized by Windows to use HFVExplorer (where you’d be able to open one of the files via double-click, return, apps-Open, etc.), you can simply right click in the desired directory in Explorer to create an empty disk image file (zero bytes total).

Opening the empty disk image (or any empty .HFV or .DSK file) will prompt HFVExplorer to make an HFS disk volume out of it, with optional size, name and everything.

If 'HFV Document' is not in the File>New submenu, open an .HFV or .DSK image, and browse for HFVExplorer (and make sure “Always use the selected program to open this kind of file” is checked), and 'HFV Document' should appear in 'New'.
Its possible to use huge disk images, but one will hardly need the storage.
Not to mention make the allocation block size larger.  For each 32 MB of disk space an HFS volume uses, half a kilobyte is added to the size of how much an individual block is in representing part of a file; the range of space that files occupy becomes less accurate (having to round up more), and the little bits of wasted space add up.  Larger HFS volumes can amount to megabytes of less free space on a large volume, the more files that are on it.  (This problem was alleviated with HFS+ / “HFS Extended,” but HFS+ requires Mac OS 8.1 or later.)