How to copy a HyperCard from Windows to Mac OS 8.1

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

tick_da
Space Cadet

How to copy a HyperCard from Windows to Mac OS 8.1

Post by tick_da »

Hi!

I want to play Fanorona game which is implemented as a HyperCard. The link to the HyperCard file is here.

http://www.ics.uci.edu/~eppstein/180a/p ... norona.hqx

But when I copy (using HFVExplorer 1.3.0) this file to Mac OS 7.x or Mac OS 8.0 or Mac OS 8.1 (running under the latest release of Basilisk II) it doesn't work. The HyperCard file is not visible to HyperCard environment (I mean that I cannot load it). The icon of the HyperCard file doesn't look like a HyperCard icon.

When I create an empty HyperCard file it is visible to HyperCard environment. But when I copy this empty HyperCard file to Windows and then again copy the same file from Windows to Mac OS (using HFVExplorer 1.3.0) it becomes invisible to the HyperCard environment and the icon is not a HyperCard icon anymore.

And also I unpacked the HQX file (Fanorona.hqx) with StuffIt Deluxe 8.5.2 (under Windows) and then tried to copy it to Mac OS 8.1. But this didn't help.

So, how do I tell to Mac OS 8.1 that a particular file is a HyperCard file?
24bit
Forum All-Star

Re: How to copy a HyperCard from Windows to Mac OS 8.1

Post by 24bit »

Made a .img for you, feel free to try. :)
http://ubuntuone.com/0n0FMLMsTEveKhYY1ZBBaI
Disc image files like the one above are best added to the "Volumes" list in the emulators GUI.
You can also move the file to the emulated HDD and open it with DiskCopy from the File menu.
(Double click may not work, because resource forks get lost on non-Mac storage devices.)
Hope that helps for now.

If you want to try yourself, you need Stuffit Expander installed on your emulated Mac.
Move the file to the emulated HDD (not to the desktop) and drag it onto the Stuffit Expander icon.
Expanding is usually a two step procedure.
Step one creates a .sit file from the .hqx, step two creates the folder from .sit.
tick_da
Space Cadet

Post by tick_da »

24bit, thank you for your help.

I have successfully added your disc image file to the "Volumes" list in the Basilisk II GUI. And now I see "Archive" on the desktop. When I double click on it I see two files ("About Fanorona" and "Fanorona"). The second file ("Fanorona") requires MRJ 2.0 (Mac Release of Java). First I have tried MRJ 2.2.6 but it didn't work because it needs PowerPC CPU. So I found MRJ 2.0 for 68040 and it worked great. It looks the same as the on-line Java applet.

Now I wonder if there exists a more recent version of MJR (say 2.1) for 68040?

Also I have installed Stuffit Expander 5.5 and Aladdin DropStuff 5.5 inside Basilisk II (Mac OS 8.1, 68040). When I try to unpack the file "Fanorona.hqx" I see quite different files. I see files "Fanorona" and "fanorona.cpt". The file "Fanorona" almost works (except that the white pieces are only empty circles). Maybe that's because my HyperCard environment has different version than the environment in which the file "Fanorona" was created.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

I might look into it, if you are interested in sorting things out.
IIRC .cpt is a Compact Pro compressed file. I did not use cpt much, as I had Stuffit since version 3.X.
I inflated the file the "lazy" way: Expanded with The Unarchiver in OSX and moved the folder to my SheepShaver 8.6 Volume.
Fanorama seemed to run without issues, but I´m not familiar with the game of course. :)
SheepShaver may be worth a try, as 8.6 or 9 PPC operating systems came with more recent system extensions by default.
tick_da
Space Cadet

Post by tick_da »

24bit, the game is called "Fanorona" (not "Fanorama"). The word "Fanorona" is pronounced "Fuh-noorn". It is a Malagasy board game (a variant of checkers). The game is quite complex. It is more complex than the english checkers but less complex than the international checkers. So don't expect to win easily. The game is popular only on Madagascar. And also Assassin's Creed III has Fanorona as a mini-game (I didn't play it yet).

Inside the disc image you gave me a different version of the Fanorona (Java applet which is not from Fanorona.hqx). But it doesn't matter since my question wasn't about Fanorona. I asked how to copy HyperCard stacks and other files between Windows and Mac OS 8.1.

Following your advice (about resource forks) I have installed Stuffit Expander 5.5. But this didn't help. So I also installed Aladdin DropStuff 5.5. Now I can unpack HQX-files like the one above (see the link to "Fanorona.hqx" in the first message).

Now I also can create a SIT-archive from a HyperCard stack, move it to Windows, then move it back to Mac OS 8.1, then unpack it. And it's OK. The HyperCard stack has the same icon as before and I can open it with a double-click.

So the problem is solved. Thank you.