Mac OS 8.1 will not boot

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Katakis
Student Driver

Mac OS 8.1 will not boot

Post by Katakis »

Hi, new user here.
I am using the 2009-10-04 build of BasiliskII running on OS X 10.8.5, with a Mac OS 8.1 CD converted into an ISO file. I have created a 10GB hard disk formatted with Mac OS Standard. I was able to install 8.1 successfully. However, when I unmount the ISO file and just boot with the hard disk, I just got the gray disk with the flashing question mark, as if 8.1 doesn't exist on my hard disk. And the only way to fix this is by re-mounting the ISO again. Is there anything I am doing wrong?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Mac OS 8.1 will not boot

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

How did you create the 10GB disk image? It should be created with BasiliskIIGUI.

If you created the image using Disk Utility on an Intel Mac, you can install a MacOS system on it, but you cannot boot BasiliskII from it.
sentient06
Mac Mechanic

Post by sentient06 »

Indeed, unless you re-format to plain HFS inside emulator. The 68k macs won't boot HFS+ drives.

Refer to this page for more info: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT1604

680x0 Specific Issues
680x0 processor computers cannot use a hard disk initialized with Mac OS Extended format as the start up disk, but the Mac OS Extended format can be used on additional disks connected to a 680x0 computer running Mac OS 8.1 or later. In addition, you can not select a hard disk initialized with Mac OS Extended format in the Virtual Memory section of the Memory control panel.
Katakis
Student Driver

Post by Katakis »

Ronald P. Regensburg: "How did you create the 10GB disk image? It should be created with BasiliskIIGUI."

That's what I did.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I never tried to use a startup volume that large for BasiliskII. Does it work when you install 8.1 on a smaller one, for instance 1GB?
Katakis
Student Driver

Post by Katakis »

Yes, it does. Thank you.

So much for the idea of using a 10GB HD with System 7.5 installed on it.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Just have one drive for the OS and one for everything else -- 7.5.5 shouldn't ever need more than 1GB for everything you throw at it. Data and Applications can go on secondary drives. This also means you can mount those secondary drives on multiple emulators (not at the same time please) to swap things between emulators and to have some level of freedom from the OS.

I keep a 40MB HDD, 350MB HDD, 2GB HDD and an 8GB HDD for these purposes across Classic Mac OSes.