Imation USB SuperDisk Boot Order

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

buchacho
Student Driver

Imation USB SuperDisk Boot Order

Post by buchacho »

I cannot seem to affect the boot disk order for the USB device. It always wants to boot first. I would like to archive a disk I have locked, but Basilisk keeps booting with it and when it gets to the desktop, it just loops saying the desktop folder cannot be created, try unlocking the disk. I don't want to unlock it since I had some disks trashed by MacFUSE. My prefs file looks like this (/dev/disk2 is the USB floppy drive):

Code: Select all

cdrom /dev/poll/cdrom

disk /Users/tt/Downloads/new650mb.hfv
disk /Users/tt/OS_7/7.5mb_image.dsk
disk /Users/tt/Downloads/300mb.HFV
disk /Users/tt/Downloads/400MB.dsk
disk /Users/tt/Downloads/650mb.hfv
disk /dev/disk2
How can I force the disk to load after the startup disk?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Imation USB SuperDisk Boot Order

Post by adespoton »

Why not just make a local image of the disk? Solves the trashing problem and allows you to use it RW.
buchacho
Student Driver

Post by buchacho »

What do you mean?

I made a .img in using Disk Copy in Basilisk of another floppy with no issues, but that one was not bootable. I would like to know if I can make the USB floppy drive load after my regular boot images.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Can the floppy be mounted in the OSX host?

Then you can create a disk image with Disk Utility. Make sure you choose read/write for the image format (yes, I know later OSX cannot write to HFS volumes, but that is irrelevant here). You can add that .dmg image to the volumes list for BasiliskII. If you do not want BasiliskII to be able to write to the volume, make sure the image file is locked in the OSX Finder. BasiliskII will boot from the first bootable (image) volume from the top of the list.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

That was my thought, but I just realized something: the problem with the disk images isn't the NDIF image format, but the HFS filesystem, which Mavericks no longer supports. Since it doesn't support HFS, you can't mount an HFS (or MFS) floppy.

You could probably load but not mount the image and use dd to make an image of it though.