Basilisk II not working full screen

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Cerberus
Space Cadet

Basilisk II not working full screen

Post by Cerberus »

Hi All,

I'm having trouble with the latest build of basilisk II for osx (1st march 14).
It works fine in windowed mode, but full screen sends my screen out of sync. Is there a way to set this manually? Where are the settings stored?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Basilisk II not working full screen

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Cerberus wrote:but full screen sends my screen out of sync.
- Exactly what do you mean with "out of sync"?

You can set all relevant settings using the GUI application. The settings are stored in a file ~/.basilisk_ii_prefs (note the leading dot, the file is hidden in the Finder).
Cerberus
Space Cadet

Post by Cerberus »

Hi Ronald,

Thanks for the quick reply.

The symptom is that I get a blue screen with "no signal".

I've built a hackintosh into a mac classic case using an 8" lcd, it runs at 75hz and I assume that basilisk is defaulting to 60hz when switching to fullscreen. I'm not near it right now, but I'll check out the config file tomorrow morning.

adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Ah; "here be dragons" -- using non-standard hardware on the back end means more things that can go wrong.

Do earlier versions of BII work as expected? Have you checked the console to see if any further debug was logged?
Cerberus
Space Cadet

Post by Cerberus »

It's definitely not standard hardware, but it does look fitting! Far more so than my MacBook Pro or iMac anyway!

I've not checked the logs yet. I did enable show hidden files and searched for basilisk in finder to see if I could find a prefs file, but nothing showed up. I've realised now that it might not have been indexed as it's hidden.

On the bright side I've got a better LCD panel on the way, this one's only 640x480. I can run it at 1024x768, but it looks lousy.

I'm 99% sure it's a synch issue, I'm just hoping it's something that can be set in the config file.

I've tried a few older versions to make sure it wasn't just this version, but they all react the same way. But by the looks of it they all share the same prefs file.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

To look at your config file, open a terminal and type

Code: Select all

open ~/.basilisk_ii_prefs
This will open it in your default text editor.

If you want a listing of ALL options that can be set in the prefs file, I find the best option is usually to grab the source code and see what values the current build looks for. You may even find you have to build a special build if vertical sync isn't a runtime option -- and for this, you'll need to be using gcc on 10.6.

But as far as that goes, I'd recommend 10.6 over 10.9 on a hackintosh anyway; it'll run most recent stuff, isn't as heavy on resources, and is the single platform that can build things that'll run on pretty much any OS X target. Of course, it doesn't get security updates anymore, so Safari use should be avoided.

Check the logs first though; BII's pretty good about informative errors.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

One never knows what can go wrong on non-standard hardware, but I did not hear of anything like this on a hackintosh before.

The refresh rate of the actual lcd should not be an issue. In BasiliskIIGUI set the refresh rate to "Dynamic", in the config file that will be written as:

frameskip 0
Screen size can be set to anything that is convenient, both in window mode and in full-screen mode, as long as the values are even numbers.
Cerberus
Space Cadet

Post by Cerberus »

I've had no luck after editing the config file sadly. When I ctrl-enter back to windowed mode the monitor and sound settings in os8 show it's running at 75hz, so it's picking up the correct refresh rate. I just don't see where the problem is, I've tried various resolutions too.

My new monitor will be coming in the next few days hopefully that will sort out the problem.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

You could post the content of the prefs file here, so we can see if there is anything unusual about your settings.

Have you tried launching BasiliskII in full-screen mode? You can either set it in the GUI application or edit the prefs file directly in a text editor. The line would look something like:

screen dga/800/600
("dga" instead of "win")
Cerberus
Space Cadet

Post by Cerberus »

The new screen arrived today. Basilisk works perfectly! Still not sure why it didn't before, but it's sorted now. Thanks to everyone who commented!
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Pictures/Video or it didn't happen :)
Cerberus
Space Cadet

Post by Cerberus »

adespoton wrote:Pictures/Video or it didn't happen :)
Here you go:

24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Off: If you should find the time, please explain your hack a bit more detailed. :)
(If you did not do this at another site already, that is.)
Beautiful hack, BTW.
Cerberus
Space Cadet

Post by Cerberus »

Thanks 24bit,

I don't mind explaining a bit more about it.

The spec of the system is:

Zotac 9300 wifi itx motherboard
Core2Quad Q6600
6GB ram
64GB SSD + 320GB HDD
Apple airport card via pci-e adapter

It's running a modified bios so identifies as a Mac Pro with serial etc. It's loaded with Mountain Lion (iAtkos ML3U) and geekbenches at just over 5700. It's got an imate adb adapter so I can use the original mouse and keyboard. The screen is a 1024x768 8" ips panel running behind the original CRT front (12v running from molex off the power supply) and it has a usb powered speaker.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Nice work!
I did not know, that there is a fix for ML with the GT9300 chipset. :)
For emulation a 10.6 or 10.5 host might be more usable, for a proof of concept ML is quite interesting though.
Cerberus
Space Cadet

Post by Cerberus »

24bit wrote:Nice work!
I did not know, that there is a fix for ML with the GT9300 chipset. :)
For emulation a 10.6 or 10.5 host might be more usable, for a proof of concept ML is quite interesting though.
Once installed it didn't boot due to the graphics card, so I had to put natit and the latest nvidia driver kexts onto a usb stick, load the installer again and use terminal to copy over the kexts and install them manually. After that it worked :-)

It's going to be used to replace my ageing 2,1 mac mini as a media centre, it can handle HD content much better.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Cerberus wrote:I had to put natit and the latest nvidia driver kexts onto a usb stick, load the installer again and use terminal to copy over the kexts.
Good to know, if I ever should install ML on my wife´s old E6600 with her 9300GS.
W2K or XP in a virtual machine should run all her oldies fine. :)