no startup sound

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

emodel
Student Driver

no startup sound

Post by emodel »

hi

i miss the mac typical startup sound.
It worked months ago, but know its not there anymore..
The sound works right (games etc...), and startup sound is checked in the gui.
Should i have a .wav or .aiff somewhere ?

thanks
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

I think it depends on the ROM image you are using.

From the changelog:

"Just for fun: startup sound for those 1MB ROMs that have the sound embedded in uncompressed form. Enabled by default (if audio is enabled), can be disabled in GUI audio page. Saves the sound in a file named as "startup_XXXXXXXX.wav", where XXXXXXXX is the ROM file checksum. This allows you to replace the sound file. Please don't send any bug reports related to startup sounds."
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

What type of Mac do you have?

Using some ROM images, such as from the Quadra 700\900 don't allow a startup sound.

My startup sound name is startup_f1a6f343.wav

Post by Guest »

Thanks, i now use a quad650 rom and have sound.
But i wonder (i maybe should start a new topic), i can select a Quadra900 as model, but make it boot with a quad650 rom !? (ie).
I dont understand that, shouldn't the "model choice" load the proper rom accordingly ?
I mean, if i select quad900 but boot wiht quad650 rom, what mac is this ?
Also, my quad700 rom is described as "worst 1mb rom known", does it mean there are other roms (quad700) that are clean(er) ?

Thanks
emodel
Student Driver

Post by emodel »

(was me, forgot to log)
ali88

Post by ali88 »

I have 32-bit clean Mac II ROM (512KB/1MB)...
Do you want it? :)
good luck.
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

If using the 68040 emulation and a 1 MB ROM image, a Quadra 900 Model ID 14 should be used even when the ROM is from a non-Quadra 900. The Windows porter of Basilisk II fully tested and debugged Q900 emulation, but gave the option of other models when needed for installing certain model-specific software (like certain Performa software). Also, the Model ID can be changed if using a 512 KB or 256 KB ROM for earlier emulation.

The Quadra 700\900 ROM does not support AppleTalk, is missing the startup sound and often has problems with desktop patterns.
Marc
Master Emulator

Post by Marc »

Mac Emu wrote: but gave the option of other models when needed for installing certain model-specific software (like certain Performa software).
If only......I have a Performa 630 CD that will install absolutly nothing because there is no hardDisk present in the BII emulation. :(
emodel
Student Driver

Post by emodel »

I have 32-bit clean Mac II ROM (512KB/1MB)... Do you want it?
Thats what BII says about my quad650 rom, so its ok :D Thanks.

I just wondered if theres a clean quad900 or 950 rom (?).

Also, i suppose the speed is the same, whatever the rom ?
If i choose a 68040, BII will run the highest possible speed according to pc processor's power.
Does someone knows if theres a way to make BII run at the correspondin model's real speed ? (limit the 68030/40 speed to 30, 50 etc mhz ?
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

There is no difference in speed between ROM images. I did benchtests long ago that showed the several ROMs I had ran the same speed.

Basilisk II gives the Mac OS access to essential function routines located in the toolbox part of the ROM image. For some reason, a few ROMs must be mapped differently or missing the support of AppleTalk, startup sounds, loss of desktop patterns and\or other things.

I believe the reported MHz rating under the Mac OS in Basilisk II peaks at 40 MHz, which is the fastest 68040 processor developed for a Macintosh. Any additional real speed is obtained via the speed of x86 system the emulation is run on. There are a number of factors that can contribute to a faster Basilisk II. But I am not aware of a way to "slow" it down except by doing the opposite of the things to speed it up. 8O

http://forums.delphiforums.com/MacEmula ... msg=4381.1
emodel
Student Driver

Post by emodel »

ok thanks :)