Please help!

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Wythelastman
Space Cadet

Please help!

Post by Wythelastman »

I was in the process of downloading Ballisisk II when I got to this part --- "To access CDs within the emulated Macintosh, you need to place the file ”cdenable.sys” from the “CD-ROM Drivers” directory of Basilisk in your ”..WINDOWS\system32\drivers” directory. Note: cdenable.sys is a 32 bit driver and therefore will not work in a 64 bit Operating System. You can place the driver in the /Windows/syswow64/drivers folder to solve the error messege about the missing driver, but it will not make BasiliskII read cd-roms in 64-bit Windows. ---I easily found ”cdenable.sys”, but despite looking could not find WINDOWS\system32\drivers :sad:.

Any information as to where to find this or how to acquire it would be much appreciated.
Last edited by Wythelastman on Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Pease help!

Post by adespoton »

First off: Are you using MS Windows as your operating system?

Second: Are you using XP, Win 7, or Win 8?
In any case, the file path is c:\Windows\System32\Drivers\

If you haven't done much "power usering" you may have that folder path marked as invisible in Explorer. Nonetheless, if you copy/paste that path into your path bar of your explorer window, you'll be able to see inside.

However, if you're using a 64-bit operating system, the driver's not going to work.

It's much simpler to just make a disk image / iso of the CD in the host environment, and use the image with the emulated OS -- load times will be faster, and you don't have to fiddle with physical media.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Re: Pease help!

Post by 24bit »

The path varies a bit with WIN flavors. :)
As for Windows 2000 it is: C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS
For Windows98 (and some others) it is indeed C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS

On a side note, if you are aiming at BII Build 142, you can not only use CD-ROM,
but also 1.4MB floppies or SCSI devices - given you do own a PC SCSI card for the SCSI devices.
BTW, force mount Mac floppy in BII is Ctrl + Shift + F11 (all keys pressed at the same time)
Wythelastman
Space Cadet

Re: Please help!

Post by Wythelastman »

Thank you so much, I'm new to all this and your help is really appreciated!!!