Problems Expanding in Basilisk II

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

FlatRound
Space Cadet

Problems Expanding in Basilisk II

Post by FlatRound »

Hi guys. Love the emulators and the site. Thanks for the nostalga!

My problem involves expanding .sit files within Basilisk II. I have several .sit files that I have placed onto a blank .dsk file to load onto Basilisk II. The volume loads in the emulation just fine. The problem is when I try to expand the archives using Stuffit 5.5, I get only one file, which the emulator will not run. It gives me this:

"The document '__' could not be opened because the application that created it could not be found. Could not find a translation extension with appropriate translators."

I would guess that it can't find the application because some necessary executable isn't present. Still I can't figure out why it won't expand the archives correctly. It only seems to expand the first file in the archive. I found one other forum thread that seemed to be experiencing this same problem but it doesn't look as if the problem was resolved:

http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... ng+stuffit

Clearly I'm doing something wrong I just can't figure out what. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Problems Expanding in Basilisk II

Post by adespoton »

Most likely your stuffit files are old ones, and the resource fork has been stripped. This means they're possibly corrupted.

I guess the main question is: what sort of file were you expecting to extract from the Stuffit archive? Do you have the appropriate software to open that kind of file?

I'd recommend getting a copy of ResEdit so you can pop open the extracted file and see if the resource forks in IT are OK; it could be just a matter of setting the file type and creator correctly (APPL for the type if it's supposed to be an application).
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Post by Jorpho »

Does The Unarchiver tell you anything? See http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/ext ... in_windows for an example.
FlatRound
Space Cadet

Post by FlatRound »

I think it's probably the resource fork has been stripped. It just says "file" when describing file type--I am running a Windows laptop so it's probably Windows that has stripped it. From both responses, and reading about the Unarchiver, it looks like using that program might work. I'll give it a try and see what happens. Thank you so much!
FlatRound
Space Cadet

Post by FlatRound »

The Unarchiver works like a charm. I've already gotten several files to work correctly. Thanks for the help guys