Create Volume doesn't create Volume

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

swangdb
Space Cadet

Create Volume doesn't create Volume

Post by swangdb »

I have a Macbook Pro running OS X 10.9

I downloaded the March 1, 2014 build of Baselik II.

I downloaded MacOS7.5.5 (Starterdisk.hfv).

I have Quadra-650.ROM.

I added a unix directory containing some old mac files.

It all works great. Except.

The system volume is very small so I tried to create a new volume using BasiliskIIGUI. "Create" allows me describe the new volume but when I eventually press "OK," it never creates the new volume.

I was able to create a 1G sparsebundle volume outside of Basilisk and was able to add it with BasiliskGUI. I copied all of the files from the Starterdisk to the sparsebundle disk, removed the original Starterdisk, restarted Basilisk and it booted! Except after several reboots, suddenly Basilisk doesn't see the sparsedisk and I get the blinking floppy. Maybe it's a unix permissions ownership problem, not sure.

Why can't I create a volume with create?

Thanks!
neozeed
Apple Corer

Re: Create Volume doesn't create Volume

Post by neozeed »

i would boot back off your install disk, and see if you can mount your sparse disk... and run some file system check utility.
don't do today what you can put off until tomorrow.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I realize that I did not use BasiliskIIGUI for a long time and probably never in OSX 10.9. It appears not to work nicely in OSX 10.9.5. When you click a button, the application often seems to freeze, the button is selected (colored line around the button) but nothing happens. Waiting a minute or so and then again clicking the button will change the button's appearance and will result in the intended action.

I do not know why the sparsebundle image failed after several "reboots". It looks like the volume got corrupted somehow. How did you do the reboots? Best is to shut down the emulated machine and start BasiliskII again.

You can also use "read/write" images created by Disk Utility.
swangdb
Space Cadet

Post by swangdb »

I tried these commands, to no avail.

chflags -R nouchg /<path>/BasiliskII/disk1.sparsebundle

hdiutil attach -nomount -noverify -noautofsck /<path>/BasiliskII/disk1.sparsebundle

fsck_hfs -drfy /dev/disk1

--

I just renamed the sparse volume and created a new one with the same name in the same place.

hdiutil create -type SPARSEBUNDLE -size 1g disk1

I restarted Basilisk and this volume was visible then. I copied the files from the boot volume to this volume, removed the boot volume from Basilisk and restarted. It worked fine. Then I backed up the Basilisk directory.

I am running OS X 10.9.5 and I've noticed the non-working button darken when I pressed it. I'll try waiting a minute then trying again.

hdiutil create -type SPARSEBUNDLE -size 1g disk1
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I thought that you weren't supposed to boot off of sparsebundles? Did that change?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

The BasiliskII and SheepShaver builds that support disk images in sparsebundle format can also use those images as boot volume.