Cant install any applications?

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Loolott
Space Cadet

Cant install any applications?

Post by Loolott »

Hej everyone,

I installed Basilisk II successfully and the emulator runs without any problems. But soehow I cant install any applications there. I tried to install prince of persia II and imported the file from my original Mac OSx (10.8.5) using the shared-folder. The file does appear in my Emulator but every time I try to install it, it says its not possible because "the application program that created it could not be found". Why?

I also tried to go online with the Emulator to download the pop2-file directly to my Emulator but I somehow cannot use the Ethernet-App.

AppleTalk is activated and I allowed sharing.

What did I do wrong?

I read something about importing files via the BasiliskII preferences but I cant find them (only the BasiliskGUI where some tabs from BasiliskII-prefs are missing). Is there a chance to create the pref-calculator manually? How?

Im really desperate because the reason why I created the Emulator was to play Retro games and now it doesnt work :-(
Thank you so much for helping me!

Loolott
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Cant install any applications?

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

What kind of file is it? A compressed or encoded file (like .sit or .hqx or .bin) or a disk image file (like .img)? Where did you get it?

Some image files can be accessed when added to the volumes list in BasiliskIIGUI. (I don't use other BasiliskII preferences managers, so I cannot tell how to use those.)

If the files are in a compressed or encoded format, you would need to have Stuffit Expander installed in BasiliskII to expand them there. But you could probably expand them also in the OSX host system before transferring the files to BasiliskII. A utility like "The Unarchiver" will expand almost anything while preserving the file's Mac properties:
http://unarchiver.c3.cx/unarchiver
(Best use the not-sandboxed version that can be downloaded from that page with the link for "older Mac OS X versions")

And most important: You cannot launch applications while they are still in the shared folder (on the Unix volume). You need to copy them first to another volume, like your 'HD' volume ("MacOS753" if you followed our setup manual).
Note that files moved directly from 'Unix' to the desktop are in fact still on the Unix volume. In classic MacOS the desktop is not one location. Each volume/disk has its own desktop. What you see as the desktop are the combined desktops of all mounted volumes.
Dan
Space Cadet

Re: Cant install any applications?

Post by Dan »

To access the Internet on Basilisk II, use Basilisk II Slirp (BasiliskIIGUI > Network > Ethernet interface) and enter the following information in Mac OS's TCP/IP Control Panel (or MacTCP for System 7):

Connect via: Ethernet
----------------------------------------
Configure: Manually
IP address: 10.0.2.5
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Router address: 10.0.2.2
Name server addr.: 10.0.2.3

Keep in mind that Internet Explorer 3.01 and Netscape 4.08 (and below) may crash when trying to access HTTPS sites. FTP sites should be fine.