dsumorok builds?

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

emendelson
Forum All-Star

dsumorok builds?

Post by emendelson »

This sentence is very clearly stated in the wiki where it links to dsumorok's fork of macemu:

"You are on your own if you want to build the code in those repositories!"

I had no trouble building BasiliskII in Snow Leopard using the instructions in the guide, but SheepShaver (building from the command line) failed. Has anyone else tried and solved this?

Thanks for any advice - but I do know that I am on my own, as the wiki says.
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: dsumorok builds?

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Dan Sumorok recently provided a patch to run Basilisk 64 bit in Yosemite. Yesterday I built that code with GCC 4.8 in Yosemite, so no need for Snow Leopard. You need the latest Xcode, Command line tools, XQuartz, and macports for the GNU automake and autogen tools and sdl.
Build instruction is found on Dan's github rep, but I paste them here:

Install Xcode, Command line tools, XQuartz, macports (sudo port install automake, autogen, sdl)
Download http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnuada/ ... 20X/4.8.0/ to /opt in OSX and run:

from Unix folder:
NO_CONFIGURE=1 ./autogen.sh
./configure --enable-macosx-etherhelper --enable-jit-compiler --enable-sdl-video --enable-sdl-audio CC=clang

among others, parameters to configure can be:
--enable-jit-compiler
--enable-macosx-sound
--enable-macosx-etherhelper
--enable-sdl-video
--enable-sdl-audio

enable-macosx-sound provides support for the ASC (apple sound chip).
enable-macosx-etherhelper provides support for appletalk.

After "make" you need to manually do "make BasiliskII_app" to get an application bundle.
Dan submitted his original patches to the official repository, but the communication to get them accepted broke down somehow.
He never got round to implement the etherhelper in SheepShaver. And the SheepShaver code doesn't build with GCC 4.8.

BTW: tuntaposx required for appletalk has also recently been updated to run in Yosemite.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/tuntap ... /20141104/

Best,
Cat_7
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

I should have found those instructions myself - thank you. I'm updating my ports right now and will build under Yosemite.

Is there any hope that we will be able to build SheepShaver the same way?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Is there any hope that we will be able to build SheepShaver the same way?
I guess not, as long as the jit-compiler build fails with GCC above 4.5.
Some time ago a solution was suggested which would use object files created by GCC 4.5 and then build further with higher GCC versions. I don't have the knowledge to pull that off, and it wouldn't solve the actual problems.

Best,
Cat_7
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Following your instructions, I built DSumorok's BII under Yosemite. As far as I can tell, it requires XQuartz to be installed and runs XQuartz when it starts up. The version I built under Snow Leopard (following the instructions in the wiki) doesn't seem to need XQuartz when run under Yosemite, but I haven't tried it on a clean system.

Is it possible to build under Yosemite so that it doesn't need XQuartz?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Did you install the sdl development package in macports?
If so, you just add --enable-sdl-video and --enable-sdl-audio to the configure line to get an SDL build.

This is the default line suggested in our compiling guide:
./configure --enable-sdl-video --enable-sdl-audio --disable-vosf --enable-jit-compiler

Best,
Cat_7
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

I updated the build instruction to use clang, otherwise Basilisk can't be built with the ethernethelper option.

You can test the following: http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/downloads2/Ba ... DL-JIT.zip

Best,
Cat_7
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Cat_7 wrote:Did you install the sdl development package in macports?
If so, you just add --enable-sdl-video and --enable-sdl-audio to the configure line to get an SDL build.

This is the default line suggested in our compiling guide:
./configure --enable-sdl-video --enable-sdl-audio --disable-vosf --enable-jit-compiler
Thank you! I stupidly neglected to add the --enable-sdl-etc. switches. As soon as I added them, I got exactly the build I was hoping for.

Next time, I will believe what I read on the forum...