Tranlastion extension issues

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

system32
Space Cadet

Tranlastion extension issues

Post by system32 »

So I am trying to move some very old files from an ancient mac7 to the Basilisk emulator. The problem is that when I try to open them in Basilisk II, I get the error message "could not find a translation extension with appropriate translators". These files are opened using Claris MacDraw II 1.1 and Microsoft word 6.0.1 I have the applications and the work installed on the emulator but the files are not getting recognized. I use a fat floppy for moving the files. I also have tried to rebuild the desktop process but again same issue after. Any thoughts?
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Re: Tranlastion extension issues

Post by Jorpho »

I use a fat floppy for moving the files.
Can you be more specific? Do you mean that you copied the files to a FAT-formatted floppy on your Macintosh, and then copied them to your hard drive using Windows Explorer? There is important file data that will be lost if you transfer files that way specifically.

There are numerous ways to get around this problem. If you're using a Windows PC with a floppy drive, then the easiest way would be to use a high-density Macintosh-formatted floppy in your Macintosh, and then use HFV Explorer in Windows to copy the files directly from the floppy to your Basilisk .HFV volume. (I'm not sure if Basilisk can still directly access floppy drives, but that might work too.)
system32
Space Cadet

Post by system32 »

Yea copied from mac onto fat floppy into windows pc floppy drive. I can get the old Microsoft word documents, but not the mac draw or Claris works files because of their weird formatting (PICT). They translate over to the floppy but nothing can open them. On the hfv same issue, no translation extension on the emulated mac when I try to open them.
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Post by Jorpho »

To be clear, your Macintosh is very likely using the "PC Exchange" system extension. PC Exchange will let you copy Macintosh files to a PC-formatted floppy, and the Macintosh will have no problems reading the floppy afterwards, but many files (including PICTs, as you say) will be completely useless if you try to access them on the same floppy with a PC.

Like I said, there are numerous ways to get around this problem. If your emulated Mac is running System 7.5.x, you might be able to enable PC Exchange there, but I doubt PC Exchange works properly in Basilisk II.

One of the other ways of getting around the problem is to just compress the files with Stuffit or Compact Pro, or encode them in BinHex or MacBinary, before copying them to your floppy. You should be able to decompress them safely in your emulated Macintosh and then access them normally.
system32 wrote:On the hfv same issue, no translation extension on the emulated mac when I try to open them.
Can you be more specific about what you mean by "hfv same issue" ? Did you use try to access the files on a Macintosh-formatted floppy using HFV Explorer? The floppy MUST be Macintosh-formatted (and high density); if you're just trying to copy the file from a FAT-formatted floppy using HFV Explorer, then it won't help.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Yep,

Most files become useless when they have been placed on a Windows formatted disk while not being protected from alteration. Windows cannot preserve some specific mac information contained in the files. HFV explorer cannot fix what windows has already stripped from the files.
You should prevent this alteration by using a format which Windows doesn't corrupt. See Jorpho's suggestion to use stuff-it on the files before moving them to the windows drive. If you do that, you can either use the My Computer tool or use HFV explorer to move the files into Mac OS intact.

Best,
Cat_7
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

As Jorpho pointed to real floppies:
It is possible to copy files onto a Mac HFS disk and read it with BasiliskII build 142.
As BII build 142 is running and configured to use the floppy, insert your Mac floppy, press Ctrl-Shift-F12 and watch the magic. :)

The above is also working with FusionPC, but Fusion is best run from a FreeDOS installation from a spare partition or HDD. Mac floppies are mounted automatically as they are inserted.
system32
Space Cadet

Post by system32 »

Ok I will trying compressing and encoding it.