No One Can Telnet in to My BBS -- Connection Refused

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

neozeed
Apple Corer

Re: No One Can Telnet in to My BBS -- Connection Refused

Post by neozeed »

I keep a wikipedia mirror for myself, downloading the 15GB wasn't so bad, it only took a day and a half to parse the XML into something mysql could load.. lol

english tv and movies is a big thing. steam too I guess... lol some of those new games are INSANE. Like 20+GB.. with again multi GB updates.

Also it's nice for SW updates for work and stuff since I need things from F5, cisco, juniper, VMware and whatnot and again they can be GB just for some 'simple update.........'.

But that's just being in the business I guess.

I've had to tether for a week on a 4G phone, only 20Mb and it felt so dreadful... lol and I remember when having ISDN was simply amazing. Until I got the phone bill, and getting a frame relay internet connection was cheaper.
don't do today what you can put off until tomorrow.
Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

Post by Old-School-BBSer »

Well, as I said before, when I first started BBSing back during the early 1990's, I borrowed an Apple 300 to 1200 baud modem from a friend. Later, I graduated to a 2400 baud modem, then a 14.4 as I recall, then a 56k modem. After that, I moved up to a DSL line, and finally to different levels of cable modem.

So even though I still don't have the outrageous speed that you enjoy, nevertheless, I can appreciate the difference between what I started out with over two decades ago, and what I have now. There is just no comparison.

Your advantage is obviously that you live in an important, international city that also happens to be very rich. Besides that, you occupy a very confined area. As a result, your government can afford to install the very best of Internet infrastructure.

Not so here. We are just a little island, important only to the U.S. military, and our government is deeply in debt. If it weren't for the competition between IT companies, I doubt that my current speed would even be available. It is the competition that drives the speed race here.
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS
Guam, Mariana Islands, USA
neozeed
Apple Corer

Post by neozeed »

That is why I thought with the military no doubt dragging optic lines out their base while they were dredging that they would do it for civilian use too, but obviously not.

back a million years ago when I had a C64, I too had a 300baud modem.. and massive phone bills. lol but it was so amazing to talk to machines remotely. When I finally put together a 286, a 2400 baud modem was amazing, but everyone was already onto 19,200 baud modems so I'd get kicked from plenty of BBS's for being too slow. Its kind of funny how people miss BBS's but I don't think anyone misses 2400 baud, zmodem queue downloads, or QWK offline reading.. Or even doing usenet in batch.

Much like CPU power, and disk space... It's amazing that I can emulate a VAX-11/780 with racks of disks and tapes, on my laptop with space and power to spare. And I don't have to share it with 100+ other people!
Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

To put things in perspective for you, in terse terms, we are merely an American colony, and one of the vestiges of American colonialism/imperialism/hegemony.

Yes, we have gained a lot of advantages by being associated with the U.S. mainland by being an American territory. However, there remains a sector of the local population which resents America's presence here, much like some Hawaiians in Hawaii.

I suppose it is a trade-off. One thing is for certain. There is the possibility that this island would not be nearly as developed as it currently is, if it were not for American intervention.

Yet, at the same time, I have sometimes pondered -- as have others here -- what Guam would be like today, had the Japanese won WWII. Obviously, Japanese would be the official language, and not English. But otherwise, given that Japan is a rich, technologically advanced nation, I suspect that we would be just as developed today, and perhaps even more so. Not only that, but what they were not able to achieve militarily, they have succeeded in doing financially. Large chunks of Guam land and the business sector are owned/controlled by Japanese investors.

The truth is that Guam has passed hands from one master to the next for centuries now: the Spanish, the Japanese, the Americans, and a few others in-between.

BTW, not that it matters to me, but even though we are a U.S. territory, we cannot vote for president and vice president, and we do not have any voting members in the U.S. Congress. We only have one non-voting delegate.

And there is your history lesson for today. :) :D
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS
neozeed
Apple Corer

Post by neozeed »

Japanese aren't very popular here... Mostly because of how they drove everyone out, and killed plenty. I guess had they kept their foothold there would be a lot less Chinese down here. Maybe they would have adopted some kind of Nazi 'final solution'?

At the same time the CCP is busy re-writing history, in how they were even remotely involved in ousting the Japanese.

Everyone is going crazy about those islands, mostly because of oil, and territorial fishing rights as always.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Writing this as moderator.

Please be reserved when writing about politics, including opinions about present or past conflicts. This forum has users from all over the world. We like to keep it that way.
Old-School-BBSer
Apple Corer

I apologize if anyone took offense to my previous comments, but I was being candid and truthful regarding the political situation here.

Guam is very much a multi-racial entity due to our location, and due to our unique status as America's most western territory. Many people in neighboring countries find this fact very enticing and advantageous, for obvious reasons.

Personally, due to my personal beliefs, plus the fact that I have lived here for about 30 years, I have no problem with Guam's multi-ethnicity whatsoever. Each human being should be judged by his or her own merits, and not painted with a broad stroke. In fact, my BBS has visitors from all around the world, which is fine by me. :)

Of course, as occurs in other parts of the world, Guam's multi-ethnicity does result in prejudices amongst some people. However, it normally remains below the surface.

Most visitors don't come to Guam because of the people. They come here for the Sun and the sand. We are a great vacation destination in this part of the world. :)
Bill Kochman
Armageddon BBS
Byte Knight
Space Cadet

Post by Byte Knight »

Sorry to revive a decade old thread, but I'm trying to do something similar with Hermes II BBS software and Basilisk II running in Windows 7.

My goal is to have Hermes II BBS running as a game server that you can telnet into locally from my other BBS (Captain's Quarters II), and I don't need to be able to connect to it over the internet.

I'm running the latest version of Basilisk II for Windows and using the Slirp Ethernet Interface. My Windoze machine has a set IP address of 10.0.1.138 and my TCP/IP Control Panel in 0S7.5.5 looks like this:

Connect via: Ethernet
Configure: Manually
IP Address: 10.0.2.15
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Router address: 10.0.2.2
Name server addr.: 10.0.2.3

With these settings I can get onto my netatalk file server and telnet out to BBS's. However, I can not telnet in to the Hermes II BBS locally - I've tried telnetting to 10.0.2.15 and to 10.0.1.138 without any luck...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Sysop of Captain's Quarters II BBS, running on a Mac!
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Byte Knight wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:53 am Sorry to revive a decade old thread, but I'm trying to do something similar with Hermes II BBS software and Basilisk II running in Windows 7.

My goal is to have Hermes II BBS running as a game server that you can telnet into locally from my other BBS (Captain's Quarters II), and I don't need to be able to connect to it over the internet.

I'm running the latest version of Basilisk II for Windows and using the Slirp Ethernet Interface. My Windoze machine has a set IP address of 10.0.1.138 and my TCP/IP Control Panel in 0S7.5.5 looks like this:

Connect via: Ethernet
Configure: Manually
IP Address: 10.0.2.15
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Router address: 10.0.2.2
Name server addr.: 10.0.2.3

With these settings I can get onto my netatalk file server and telnet out to BBS's. However, I can not telnet in to the Hermes II BBS locally - I've tried telnetting to 10.0.2.15 and to 10.0.1.138 without any luck...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Unless you enable port forwarding, SLIRP is outbound-only. Some people have had issues getting SLIRP port forwarding to work on Windows.

Relevant thread: viewtopic.php?t=7782

If port forwarding doesn't work for you, you may have to switch from SLIRP to TUN/TAP -- this provides a complete virtual network interface for your BII instance. There's a number of threads on here discussing how to do this.
Byte Knight
Space Cadet

Post by Byte Knight »

adespoton wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:14 pm Unless you enable port forwarding, SLIRP is outbound-only. Some people have had issues getting SLIRP port forwarding to work on Windows.

Relevant thread: viewtopic.php?t=7782

If port forwarding doesn't work for you, you may have to switch from SLIRP to TUN/TAP -- this provides a complete virtual network interface for your BII instance. There's a number of threads on here discussing how to do this.
It works - thank you!!
Sysop of Captain's Quarters II BBS, running on a Mac!