Mouse lag

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

genericptr
Space Cadet

Mouse lag

Post by genericptr »

I been trying your software and after not getting SheetShaver to work tried Basilisk II. I have been able to get a version of 7.5.3 running but there is a pretty serious delay on the mouse and redraw in general.

I'm using a Mid 2010 MacBook 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4GB RAM and 10.10.3.

I set the window refresh to "dynamic" at 800x600 and also tried full screen but this caused some strange drawing bugs (colored lines over the entire screen) and speed was still not improved.

Mini vMac was able to emulate system 7 (without color) with no mouse lag so I'm curious why this program can't do it.

Any ideas? Thanks!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Mouse lag

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Which BasiliskII build do you use? Some builds will work better with games, other builds will work better for other applications like the Finder. See information in this topic: http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... f=6&t=7361

Some GUI settings (like enabling JIT compiler) will improve performance.

Please show us the content of the prefs file. Launch Terminal (in Applications/Utilities/) and type at the prompt:

Code: Select all

open ~/.basilisk_ii_prefs
followed by a return.
The file will open in your default text editor, select all content, copy it, and paste it here.
genericptr
Space Cadet

Post by genericptr »

I downloaded the most recent version from the forum instead of building it myself. Here's the settings I used. Thanks.

disk /Users/ryanjoseph/Desktop/Mac Emulation/MacOS753
extfs /
screen win/800/600
seriala /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Modem
serialb /dev/null
udptunnel false
udpport 6066
rom /Users/ryanjoseph/Desktop/Mac Emulation/ROMs/Quadra900.rom
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 67108864
frameskip 0
modelid 14
cpu 4
fpu true
nocdrom false
nosound false
noclipconversion false
nogui false
jit true
jitfpu true
jitdebug false
jitcachesize 8192
jitlazyflush true
jitinline true
keyboardtype 5
keycodes false
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
dsp /dev/dsp
mixer /dev/mixer
ignoresegv true
idlewait true
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Yes, you are right, BasiliskII appears to be unusably slow under OSX 10.10.3. I tried every version/build (newer and older builds by me, by Cat_7, and by vasi) and they all have the same problem here.

You tried SheepShaver first without success. It still works fine in Yosemite. Maybe you could try again and start a topic in SheepShaver forum for help if needed.

BTW: This is not "our" software. No regular development of BasiliskII and SheepShaver has been going on since 2006. Individual users with programmer skills contribute occasionally to the source code with fixes and improvements and users like myself provide builds for others to use. But essential parts of the software may soon become incompatible with newer host OS versions.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Noticed something weird: BasiliskII works fine in OSX 10.10.3 when I use right-click on my Magic Mouse. Right-click (not control-click) works as if I use regular (left) click.
genericptr
Space Cadet

Post by genericptr »

I guess I'll just use SheepShaver for now then. I downloaded and looked over the SheepShaver source to see if I could make loading easier volumes easier but as far as the emulation I have no idea where to even begin. :) Hopefully someone who has knowledge will optimize this old code someday.

I didn't follow your second post about the mouse. Did you mean it fixed the speed problem or just the mouse buttons were inverted depending on which mouse you used?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Using "normal" left clicks, BasiliskII appears to all but unusable in OSX 10.10. When I use the right mouse button instead, BasiliskII behaves normally, regardless the mouse I use. Works with both my Apple Magic Mouse and a USB Logitech mouse.

Weird. This did not happen in previous OSX versions.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Thanks for pointing to the right click workaround Ronald.
I will sure give it a go.
I noticed BII was hardly usable with 10.10 too, but did not want to bother.

Off topic-1:
I am keeping a 10.6.8 installation ready for emulators and for some other reasons.
Guess it will be wise for anybody wanting to run BII or SS on a regular basis to have a OSX instance of 10.9 or lower as host OS.

Off topic-2:
Many thanks to you, Ronald and Howard and Michael of course, for keeping this forum alive and not becoming tired of answering all those questions!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

24bit wrote:Off topic-1:
I am keeping a 10.6.8 installation ready for emulators and for some other reasons.
So do I, especially to be able to build BasiliskII and SheepShaver. Regrettably, there is little reason in the source code to make new builds for OSX lately.
Off topic-2:
Many thanks to you, Ronald and Howard and Michael of course, for keeping this forum alive and not becoming tired of answering all those questions!
Well, actually, I sometimes get a little tired. :wink:
genericptr
Space Cadet

Post by genericptr »

Sorry for the late reply here. I'm confused. How does clicking affect performance? I think we understand each other about the lag but why would the act of clicking change anything since the lag is always present, not just during clicking. I must be misunderstanding something. Thanks.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

With normal (left) clicking, BasiliskII reacts so slowly that it becomes unusable. With right-clicking BasiliskII reacts as if normal left-clicking was used and without the delay.

This weird behavior of BasiliskII seems to exist in OSX 10.10 (Yosemite) only.

What other lag issues do you notice, with which BasiliskII build and with which software? As I wrote above, performance depends on the combination of BasiliskII build and software used.
genericptr
Space Cadet

Post by genericptr »

I'm seeing that simply moving the mouse around the screen is slow. I don't even understand how clicking could be slow since it's a behavior that takes no more than a fraction of second anyway. Are you talking about a preference or something perhaps?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

There is a slight lag when moving the mouse. That is inherent to the "software cursor" that is used in BasiliskII. SheepShaver uses a "hardware cursor" when in window mode, with smoother cursor movements. In full-screen mode SheepShaver also uses the software cursor.

BasiliskII running in OSX 10.10 reacts very slowly to normal (left) clicks, it may take many seconds or even minutes before it reacts, but apparently a right-click is registered as a left-click and behaves normally as such.
genericptr
Space Cadet

Post by genericptr »

Then my problem is just a really low frame rate when dragging/moving windows etc..., probably like 15/second if I had to guess. I'm trying to right-click but I don't see that's doing anything, only left click works. Maybe if I could start a drag with a right click it would be better?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Maybe on your machine the left-click vs right-click issue does not exist.

When I move windows in BasiliskII I do not see any special slowdown with respect to the movement of cursor or window border. The image of cursor (and attached window border) is indeed redrawn at a lower frequencies. As I wrote above, it is inherent to the way the cursor is emulated in BasiliskII. The resulting less smooth cursor movements may not look nice, but I do not see how this can be a problem for using BasiliskII. The actual moving speed of the cursor (and attached window borders) is not influenced.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Sat May 23, 2015 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
genericptr
Space Cadet

Post by genericptr »

Ok, thanks Ronald. I'll just leave it at this and use SheepShaver.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I'm using 10.10.3 with a magic trackpad, and don't have the issue. I don't recall having an issue with my mouse either.

HOWEVER, when I upgraded to 10.10.2, I had to disable middle click, because in OS X I was having all sorts of weird behaviour. Apple changed something in the mouse handling; I have no idea what. Doesn't appear to be affecting anything but actual mice with 3+ buttons.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

The weird issue I had in BasiliskII with left-click vs right-click appeared to be caused by the latest version of Deskovery which I used in OSX. I removed Deskovery and all is back to normal.