An error of type 3 occurred?

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

basilisk2user
Student Driver

An error of type 3 occurred?

Post by basilisk2user »

What is a type 3 error and how can I resolve it with regards to opening a particular program?

I downloaded The Writing Center from Macintosh Garden for use with a B2 System 7.5 install. (Mac Garden is down as of right now and I'm not sure why. Server had a holiday hangover?)

Anyway, I try to start a new document and I get an error that I haven't selected a printer in Chooser. The program will not create documents unless I do this. So, I quit The Writing Center and go to Chooser, and select a dummy printer from the list (obviously I don't have a LaserWriter to print to from my PC). I exit out of Chooser and try to open The Writing Center again.

Then I get this error:
The application "The Writing Center" has unexpectedly quit, because an error of type 3 occurred.
No other option but to click OK and the process dies.

What could be causing this and how do I get this finicky program to run? Does it have anything to do with Chooser, or what else could be the problem?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: An error of type 3 occurred?

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Try this:

Get the PrintToPDF printer extension.
http://www.jwwalker.com/pages/pdf.html
and install it in the Extensions folder

Select the PrintToPDF printer in the Chooser
(You can now trash the desktop printers you may have created.)

Restart BasiliskII

Select again the PrintToPDF printer in the Chooser (just to be sure).

Can you run The Writing Center now?

(Error 3 means "Illegal instruction". Can be a lot of things, including missing functions in the emulator.)

(Macintosh Garden is up again. It is not unusual for it to be down sometimes.)
basilisk2user
Student Driver

Re: An error of type 3 occurred?

Post by basilisk2user »

It's working now, thanks. Although I did get a type 10 error upon first starting up the program. Not sure what that one means but apparently it happened because I didn't restart after selecting the printer.