Problems with System 7 "floppy disk"

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

TiddK
Granny Smith

Problems with System 7 "floppy disk"

Post by TiddK »

I've followed all the BasiliskII set up instructions faithfully, and then clicked Start in the BasiliskIIGUI.

At this point it started to go wrong. There was an initial warning saying

"The System Software on this disk is designed for starting up from a floppy disk only.
Please re-install the System Software from the disks or CD that came with your computer"

After that I successfully initialised both virtual HDs and was taken to the desktop, where I found the icons I expected.

However, after moving all the install files from Unix to Installer Parts, then clicking "InstallMeFirst.image", I got the message about "...couldn't be opened because the Application ... couldn't be found". All the install parts are .image files, but on the OS X side they all look like Unix executable files, i.e. the grey icon with a green 'exec' on the top left. The OS - 7.1 - was a download from http://www.dreamsupport.us/downloads/ar ... /index.htm
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Problems with System 7 "floppy disk"

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

The warning while booting from that MacOS8 floppy image is known and can be ignored.

The instructions in our setup guide will not work with the software that you downloaded. Those floppy images need to be mounted in a different way. Moreover, they seem to be machine-specific.

Unless you absolutely need System 7.1, better install System 7.5.3 with the 19-part image as instructed. Your software will probably run fine on it.
TiddK
Granny Smith

Post by TiddK »

I thought there was a bigger change between 7.1 and 7.5 than even between 7.5 and 8.6?

However, I will try 7.5.3 - thanks.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

The big change was that all the system enablers and various extensions required to make 7.1 function with newer software were built into the system file in 7.5.3. Most of the issues preventing software from running under 7.5.3 are more to do with the hardware than the OS -- some older Mac software assumes specific screen resolution/depth, for example.
TiddK
Granny Smith

Post by TiddK »

It's all running now. All the software that ran without problem in 7.1.1 still does, and all the software that used to be a problem, still is. :razz:

The only issue I have is that Spectre Supreme ran smoothly on my Powerbook Duo (7.1.1); it runs even better - apart from recording high scores - in 8.6 in SheepShaver. But in BasiliskII in 7.5.3 it's sluggish, jerky and not fun to play at all. However, that doesn't really matter as I'll play it in SheepShaver from now on. Strange though, that it was great in 7.1.1 and in 8.6, but not in 7.5.3...
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

There are various issues with BasiliskII for OSX that affect performance in some games. Cause still not known and the issues may never be solved.

You may get smoother graphics and sound using one of vasi's builds.
See: http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... 395#p47395

Edit: You can replace just the BasiliskII application itself. You can continue to use the BasiliskIIGUI application you used now.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
TiddK
Granny Smith

Post by TiddK »

Thanks for that. I have a feeling I will probably mostly use Sheepshaver and OS 8.6 from now on. There's very little reason for me to use 7.5.3 anyway (I was just curious about some old apps) - especially as I'd forgotten the menus don't persist when you release the mouse!

But I'll keep your reference to the vasi builds.

Thanks again. It's all much easier to set up than it appeared when I first tried 5 or 6 years ago.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

TiddK wrote:I'd forgotten the menus don't persist when you release the mouse!
There's extensions to fix that ;)