Does Basilisk have a windowed magnify mode like Mini vMac?

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

NavyBrat
Space Cadet

Does Basilisk have a windowed magnify mode like Mini vMac?

Post by NavyBrat »

I have a white 2010 MacBook with a 1280 x 800 display resolution and I would love to be able to run Basilisk II in a windowed Magnify mode like in Mini vMac.

Right now, if you run Basilisk II or SheepShaver in Windowed mode, you're stuck with running the emulator at the same resolution that your Mac is at (which for me is 1280 x 800). At the resolution, the Basilisk and SheepShaver screens are really tiny.

You could lower the resolution of your Mac's display, but then OS X really wasn't meant to be run at lower resolutions. It makes your windows and apps very difficult to work with.

You could also run Basilisk II or SheepShaver in full screen mode to get a lower resolution, but then you can't switch back and forth between the emulators and your Mac. And you also get a very fuzzy screen that makes your display look like emulation and isn't very sharp.

With Mini vMac, you can launch the emulator in a 640 x 480 window and then put it in Magnify mode and you get a very sharp windowed 640 x 480 display that's stretched to a 1280 x 960 window and looks as sharp as using a real 68000 Mac. You also get the ability to bounce back and forth between your Mac and the emulator.

And if you change the settings of the 1280 x 960 window to 1280 x 800, you get the whole thing the size of your display and no scrolling.

Why the desire to want Basilisk or SheepShaver to have a Magnify mode? Simple. It's easier to move files back and forth between Basilisk and SheepShaver and your Mac than it is in Mini vMac because Mini vMac doesn't have a sharable folder like the other two do.

Does anyone know if Basilisk or SheepShaver has a windowed magnify mode like Mini vMac?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Does Basilisk have a windowed magnify mode like Mini vMa

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

There is no magnify mode in SheepShaver or BasiliskII. You already tried all available alternatives.

BTW: You can easily toggle between full-screen mode and window mode in SheepShaver, using Control-Return key combo. Thus you can work in SheepShaver in full-screen mode and go into window mode to access other OSX applications without quitting SheepShaver.

Edit: I removed your same question in SheepShaver forum.
uyjulian
Apple Corer

Post by uyjulian »

System Preferences -> Accessibility -> Zoom ?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Either that, or run CloseView on the guest OS -- I believe it comes as an optional install starting in 7.1, and as a default install starting in 8.0. That assumes you don't need to see the entire screen at once though.

By using Zoom on the host, you can also apply blitting effects to the window, should you want to; I can't recall the method for doing so offhand, but I know I've done it in the past.