Anyone have a MacStartup.img loaded w/games to share?

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

macuser85
Space Cadet

Anyone have a MacStartup.img loaded w/games to share?

Post by macuser85 »

As a fun project to play some classic games together, my daughter and I set up a Mac 128k OS 7.5.5 under Basilisk II, on both a Raspberry Pi 2 and on a Windows 7 PC. Under Basilisk II, figured out to increase HD space to 200MG. The problem is loading all of the games. I have found it time consuming to copy games over using HFVExplorer.exe then going into Basilisk II on Windows to unstuffit them and install the games.

Is there anyone that has already invested the time to build a large OS 7.5.5 MacStartup.img with games already? Could they possibly share that 200MG or larger MacStartup.img? Was looking for build with games such as but not limited to Airborne, Apache Strike, Apeiron, Beyond Dark Castle, Cairo Shootout, Cosmic Osmo, Crystal Quest, Doom, Fool's Errand, Glider 4.0, Grand Prix Circuit, Lemmings, Lode Runner, Manhole, Oids, ParArena, Space Bubbles, SpaceInvader!, Spectre VR, Stellar 7, Stunt Copter, Swoop, Wolfenstein 3D, etc.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Anyone have a MacStartup.img loaded w/games to share?

Post by adespoton »

Ah; this is much clearer in some ways than your other question.

Basilisk II does not emulate a Mac 128k, it emulates either a Performa or a Quadra. Mini vMac 128k is the only emulator that will emulate a Mac 128k.

Beyond Dark Castle runs best directly from its floppy image, and would perform best in the standard Mini vMac (which emulates a Mac Plus). I believe this is available for the Pi.

Games like Spectre VR require a 68030 processor or later, so you'd do best using BII with the Quadra ROM and settings. Same goes for Wolfenstein 3D. Not sure if Doom will even play on a 680x0 system; it works well in SheepShaver.

Your list of games spans from games written for the Mac 128k to games written for the 68040 or possibly PPC.

Can't help you with the image, unfortunately.
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Post by Jorpho »

macuser85 wrote:I have found it time consuming to copy games over using HFVExplorer.exe then going into Basilisk II on Windows to unstuffit them and install the games.
Is it really that time consuming..?

If you have Basilisk II configured to access external drives, then you don't really need HFV Explorer – you can just copy files to your .hfv image directly from within Basilisk II.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Guess I could prepare the desired image, if its not urgent.
Just post your wishlist and the desired OS version/language.
Once Macintoshgarden is fully functional again, such a collection should not be too hard to build.
For compatibility, I would propose ISO HFS CD images.
macuser85
Space Cadet

Post by macuser85 »

Thank you for your comment
adespoton wrote: Beyond Dark Castle runs best directly from its floppy image
*What is the file extension of a floppy image?

Your list of games spans from games written for the Mac 128k to games written for the 68040 or possibly PPC.
*What is the production history of machines? Is it Mac IIci then Quadra 900?

macuser85
Space Cadet

Post by macuser85 »

Thank you for your comments.
24bit wrote:Just post your wishlist and the desired OS version/language.
*I was able to build a Mac OS 7.5.5. for BSII. Is that the best OS you would recommend if I want to stay within BSII?

Once Macintoshgarden is fully functional again, such a collection should not be too hard to build.
*When will Macintoshgarden be back up? What happened to it?

For compatibility, I would propose ISO HFS CD images.
*What are ISO CD Images? How do they work? Wanted to stay with OS 7.5.5 and keep games in folders on the HD.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

macuser85 wrote:Thank you for your comment
adespoton wrote: Beyond Dark Castle runs best directly from its floppy image
*What is the file extension of a floppy image?

*What is the production history of machines? Is it Mac IIci then Quadra 900?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the first one -- you'll most often find them as .img, .dsk or .dc42, but they can be pretty much anything, especially if they were imaged on a classic Mac where type and creator codes in the resource fork were used instead of file extensions.

For the second, see:
http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... f=1&t=8835

I also have a good recent writeup on here somewhere about disk image formats and extensions as generated by OS X.