E-Maculation
https://www.emaculation.com/forum/

Floppies in .bin format?
https://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9023
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Zacchi4k [ Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Floppies in .bin format?

I downloaded some 7.6 and a 7.6.1 floppy images, but they come in a .bin format and neither BasiliskII nor HFVexplorer (nor Mini vMac) can read them, even if I change the file extension. Mac OS always asks to initialize them.
What can I do?

Author:  rickyzhang [ Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:01 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Floppies in .bin format?

You must be windows folk. In modern Mac, it still can expand bin.
In windows, the easy way is to unpack it in System 6 vmac by bin unpack program and then export it. Find them in vmac sites.

Author:  Jorpho [ Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:30 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Floppies in .bin format?

These are probably MacBinary-encoded images. You can unpack them using unar (the Windows command-line version of The Unarchiver); afterwards, everything should be able to recognize them.

Author:  Zacchi4k [ Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:46 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Floppies in .bin format?

Jorpho wrote:
These are probably MacBinary-encoded images. You can unpack them using unar (the Windows command-line version of The Unarchiver); afterwards, everything should be able to recognize them.

I tried it and it gave me a .rsrc file and another file without extension. None of them works

Author:  Zacchi4k [ Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:48 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Floppies in .bin format?

rickyzhang wrote:
You must be windows folk. In modern Mac, it still can expand bin.
In windows, the easy way is to unpack it in System 6 vmac by bin unpack program and then export it. Find them in vmac sites.

Sorry, I don't understand
BTW yes, I use Windows

Author:  Ronald P. Regensburg [ Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:10 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Floppies in .bin format?

Zacchi4k wrote:
Jorpho wrote:
These are probably MacBinary-encoded images. You can unpack them using unar (the Windows command-line version of The Unarchiver); afterwards, everything should be able to recognize them.

I tried it and it gave me a .rsrc file and another file without extension. None of them works

If it is indeed an archived image file, the .rsrc file should not be important and the file without extension should be mountable in BasiliskII by adding it to the volumes list in the GUI. Where did you get the files from?

Author:  Zacchi4k [ Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Floppies in .bin format?

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:
Zacchi4k wrote:
Jorpho wrote:
These are probably MacBinary-encoded images. You can unpack them using unar (the Windows command-line version of The Unarchiver); afterwards, everything should be able to recognize them.

I tried it and it gave me a .rsrc file and another file without extension. None of them works

If it is indeed an archived image file, the .rsrc file should not be important and the file without extension should be mountable in BasiliskII by adding it to the volumes list in the GUI. Where did you get the files from?

BetaArchive (it's the Italian version of 7.6.1, I can't find it anywhere else on the Internet)
I mount it in conjunction with a system 7 boot disk, which asks to initialize it

Author:  Jorpho [ Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:07 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Floppies in .bin format?

I suppose they could be self-mounting images, in which case I don't think unar will help you.

Since you have a bootable System 7 disk, try copying the .bin files to your System 7 disk, and then unpacking them with Stuffit Expander.

Alternatively, since you have HFV Explorer, you should be able to copy the .bin files to your System 7 disk that way, as described in http://www.gryphel.com/c/image/ .

Author:  24bit [ Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Floppies in .bin format?

I seem to recall that an Italian 7.6.X is included with the Mac Antology DVDs.
Max1zzz has the `99 and `00/`01 collections on his private server.
http://macintoshgarden.org/forum/max1zz ... mac-server

Maybe better to get things rolling with an untouched copy from DVD. :)

Author:  peter_j [ Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:46 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Floppies in .bin format?

Here is a quick-and-dirty to extract the data fork out of a MacBin file on a Windows PC. It does not restore the original dates as I can't find info of the date format used as yet.

Please let me know of any problem.

http://www.retroprograms.com/temp/DeMacBin2016.zip

Usual dire warnings apply about no-resource-forks.

Author:  Jorpho [ Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:40 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Floppies in .bin format?

peter_j wrote:
Here is a quick-and-dirty to extract the data fork out of a MacBin file on a Windows PC.
That is precisely what unar is supposed to do.

Author:  peter_j [ Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:35 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Floppies in .bin format?

Jorpho wrote:
peter_j wrote:
Here is a quick-and-dirty to extract the data fork out of a MacBin file on a Windows PC.
That is precisely what unar is supposed to do.


Variety is the spice of life, they say. My one has a gui and works via drag&drop. It is a variant of one I originally wrote in VB6 in 2000. Use it, don't use it: up to you.

Author:  Zacchi4k [ Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:06 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Floppies in .bin format?

Well, I've downloaded other files from BetaArchive, specifically the system 7 and 7.6 installation floppies, extracted them with DeMacBin and they work, so it must be a problem with the system 7.6.1 floppies (they're update only btw)
EDIT: they only works in mini vMac, Basilisk II still doesn't recognize them

Author:  adespoton [ Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:33 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Floppies in .bin format?

There's your solution then: set up the image in Mini vMac and then deploy it in BII :)

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
https://www.phpbb.com/