Easy Install on a Raspberry Pi

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

ebann
Tinkerer

Easy Install on a Raspberry Pi

Post by ebann »

Check out my fully automated Basilisk II install for the Raspberry Pi. Should run on RPi 1, 2, and 3 that uses VideoCore 4.

Features for maximum performance:

1. Installs on a light Raspberry Pi OS Lite system;
2. Compiles using SDL2 without heavy X Windows;
3. Optimized to run Mac OS 7.6.1 with 68040;

https://github.com/ekbann/rpi-basilisk2-sdl2-nox.git

Please test and let me know of any bugs. I tested and it runs nicely but I made a few small edits to the script and hopefully I didn't break anything. I am just enjoying the system and don't feel like reformatting my SD card to try again :lol:

My Raspberry Pi 3B is about 2-3x faster than a Quadra 605 as per Speedometer 4, with excellent math performance obviously.
ebann
Tinkerer

Re: Easy Install on a Raspberry Pi

Post by ebann »

Let me know if the sound works... I may have installed a package beforehand and forgot to add it to the script... :shock:

I'm using Mac OS 7.6.1 and CodeWarrior to teach C++98 to my high school students... just for fun! Could have done with Raspbian... but the 90's Macintosh experience is just from another world!
ebann
Tinkerer

Re: Easy Install on a Raspberry Pi

Post by ebann »

Since my Chromebook project is pretty much done I revisited this one. Reformatted my SD card and ran the script again. Works flawlessly with sound.

The only limitation running without X windows is that 1024x768 and 16-bit color seems to be the max I could get with SDL2. Only 640x480 works at 32-bit color. From within Mac OS I could force 800x600 at 32-bit color but it will tear wildly if started in that mode. Must be related to SDL2 video memory allocation since it’s not a problem running from within X windows.

I cannot run the FULL Speedometer 4 test because it crashes when undergoing the graphics tests at all the different bit-depths. SDL2 doesn’t seem to like that.