Can't run games

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

jordanbaron2
Student Driver

Can't run games

Post by jordanbaron2 »

I have a game that is a .sit file and when I extract it the files don't have an extension. All it is is something like 'game' instead of something like 'game.app' I have tried putting it in Basilisk and extracting it from there but when I try to open it I get an error saying the original application that made this file could not be found. I am on Windows 10 x64.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Can't run games

Post by adespoton »

Classic Mac OS doesn't use file extensions; it sets a file type and creator in the resource fork. For executable software, the file type is APPL.

Windows doesn't know about resource forks, so it generally strips them out when extracting a file, leaving you with a useless data fork (unless the files inside only have data forks, in which case you're OK).

In order to extract the software, you have to do so INSIDE Basilisk II with Stuffit Expander, not in Windows 10.
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Re: Can't run games

Post by Jorpho »

jordanbaron2 wrote:I have tried putting it in Basilisk and extracting it from there but when I try to open it I get an error saying the original application that made this file could not be found.
Are you saying you get this error when you try to open the .sit file in Basilisk? Classic Mac OS also relies on the Type and Creator to determine the "original application" to be launched when opening a file, so if you have a .sit file that was stored on a Windows PC, it won't know what to do with it.

You should be able to launch Stuffit Expander and then open the .sit file by using the File -> Open... command and browsing to the file's location. Alternatively, you can drag and drop the .sit file onto the Stuffit Expander icon.