E-Maculation
https://www.emaculation.com/forum/

Can't get the Unix Shared folder
https://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9306
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Mac-chatter [ Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:34 pm ]
Post subject:  Can't get the Unix Shared folder

Hi all,

long time haven't been here with a login. I tried to get Basilisk2 running. Everything cool so far. However for some reason I can't get the Unix Shared "Drive" on the desktop.

This is my entry: " /Applications/Emulatoren/Basilisk2/Shared "

I use the 1MB PERFORMA ROM (630). I installed System 7.1. Host system is OSX 10.6.8 on a 2010 Macmini. I rereread the instructions again and again. I tried with and without " /Users/myname/Appl.../.../ " My HDD pathes also start with " /Applications/Emulatoren/Basilisk2/xy.img " and work fine. My only way to communicate between Basilik2 and the OSX is via a .dmg drive. This is how I indroduced the System 7.1 into the Basilik2.

I succeeded with the Unix Drive on Sheepshaver.

Any ideas?

Thanks for reading and thinking!

Mac-Chatter

Author:  24bit [ Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:45 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Can't get the Unix Shared folder

A known obstacle - the shared folder is not available with MacOS 7.1.
I recall a patch for it, but can´t tell where to find that.
What about 7.5.3? http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/macos-753-emulators

Author:  adespoton [ Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:08 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Can't get the Unix Shared folder

The patch is that you need to copy the File System Manager extension from System 7.5 to the 7.1 (or 7.0) extension folder. This is required to make the shared folder visible.

Author:  Mac-chatter [ Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:31 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Can't get the Unix Shared folder

Thanks for your quick reply. Was a "difficult birth" to get the File Syst. Mgr. Ext. into Basilisk, because Mac OSX Snow Leo Diskutil doesn't support <Mac OS Standard> disk images. Made it via Disk Copy within Sheepshaver. Finally it works and I can connect the Unix Drive!

Author:  Ronald P. Regensburg [ Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:17 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Can't get the Unix Shared folder

Mac-chatter wrote:
because Mac OSX Snow Leo Diskutil doesn't support <Mac OS Standard> disk images.

Next time you could use HFS Disk Maker. It creates HFS (standard) disk images from any file or folder. See: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8337

Author:  seirios-1.4 [ Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Can't get the Unix Shared folder

adespoton wrote:
The patch is that you need to copy the File System Manager extension from System 7.5 to the 7.1 (or 7.0) extension folder. This is required to make the shared folder visible.


Sorry, I cannot find "File System Manager" in a newly installed System 7.5.3 folder.
The topic seems quite interesting for System 7.1 is neat and snappier than the ones that followed.

Best regards
seirios

Author:  adespoton [ Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:07 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Can't get the Unix Shared folder

It should be in the Extensions folder. I've been doing that swap for over 15 years, and it's always been there for me....

Author:  Ronald P. Regensburg [ Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:20 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Can't get the Unix Shared folder

I do not see a "File System Manager" extension either in a 7.5.5 installation in BasiliskII.

Looked it up in InformINIT 8.1:
Quote:
• File System Manager (v1.2.4): File System Manager (FSM) is an obscure part of the Macintosh operating system that was proposed for System 7.0 but didn't officially ship until System 7.5.1, when it was part of the System itself. Providing support for external file systems, the extension was used on earlier systems by developers to support FSM functionality and to utilize its features without having to rewrite the entire Macintosh File Manager system. It is used by the System for cross-platform exchange with ProDOS and PC systems and is used by Macintosh PC Exchange. It also supports "plug-in" file for different types of media/file systems.

Author:  seirios-1.4 [ Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:22 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Can't get the Unix Shared folder

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:
I do not see a "File System Manager" extension either in a 7.5.5 installation in BasiliskII.

Looked it up in InformINIT 8.1:
Quote:
• File System Manager (v1.2.4): File System Manager (FSM) is an obscure part of the Macintosh operating system that was proposed for System 7.0 but didn't officially ship until System 7.5.1, when it was part of the System itself. Providing support for external file systems, the extension was used on earlier systems by developers to support FSM functionality and to utilize its features without having to rewrite the entire Macintosh File Manager system. It is used by the System for cross-platform exchange with ProDOS and PC systems and is used by Macintosh PC Exchange. It also supports "plug-in" file for different types of media/file systems.


Thanks Ronald!
I searched it in Macintosh garden, found it, copied in Sys 7.1, restarted, and now it does work indeed.
http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/file-system-manager-12

Best regards
seirios

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
https://www.phpbb.com/