BII and large partitions (>2GB)

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

NovHak
Space Cadet

BII and large partitions (>2GB)

Post by NovHak »

Dear forum readers,

In my tedious process of trying to have Mac OS 7.6.1 installed on BII in my language (french), due to the lack of such images, I came up trying to mount a DVD ISO on a 5 GB HFS partition. HFV Explorer clearly didn't like that, so I resorted to other means, but 7.6.1, while being able to mount the partition as long as it was empty, ultimately failed as soon as there was data on it.

I know that 7.6 precisely addressed some issues related to "big" drives, so there should not be any problems in the OS department. Is that a limitation of BII ?
24bit
Forum All-Star

Re: BII and large partitions (>2GB)

Post by 24bit »

What about using the (non bootable) French 7.6.1 installer from the Mac Anthology 1999?
Max1zzz has the Anthologies on his private server.
If you have trouble sourcing it, I stored the 1999 and 2000/2001 releases locally.
The 7.6.1 image from Apple Anthology can be added to the emulators Volumes tab.
In case your Basilisk II instance should not be running already, bootable images are located here:
http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/macos-753-emulators
NovHak
Space Cadet

Post by NovHak »

I tried that already before posting here, but it doesn't work. It seems the french 7.6.1 version contains the update only. It asks me for the 7.6 disk, which I don't have. I tried the US version just to be sure, and it says the same. Did anyone manage to install 7.6.1 in his own language using the anthology ? If yes, that would mean I did something wrong...

Oh and btw, I use the anthology from macintoshrepository.org.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

I made a page for you at Macintoshgarden: http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/mac-os-761-french
If you want other French MacOS flavours, I really would DL the DVD images from Max.
He found them some time ago and made the files available to the public.
Best to take the "originals" as far as possible.
http://macintoshgarden.org/forum/max1zz ... mac-server
NovHak
Space Cadet

Post by NovHak »

Thanks for doing that, finally I managed to install 7.6.1 FR from the Anthology DVD. The reason why it wasn't working was that the image being HFS+ as you noticed, which could not be opened from the 7.6.1 US install CD I was booting from. So I was doing something rather complicated, mounting the image on a 9.2.2 install and copying the contents to an HFS partition. The problem is I wasn't copying the files at the root of the partition and the installer obviously was using some paths relative to that root.

Once the files were copied to the root, everything was OK. But thank you anyway since it won't be necessary any more to download the anthology DVD to get this thing !
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Glad you found a solution anyway!
I was thinking to add some localised bootable images at Macintoshgarden, maybe in winter.
But then its a rather repetitive task and obtaining the needed files isn't that hard, especially with some recent Mac.
Fulfilling requests on demand may do too. :)

For F1-7.6.1, could you install all software packages copied over from the F693-1928.img finally?
Apple seems to have been using wrong paths/filenames in the installers, but my French is not good enough to sort that out.
It may not be your fault concerning relative paths...
NovHak
Space Cadet

Post by NovHak »

Yes, everything is in order ! The path problem happens because the installation hierarchy has to be at the root of a volume. At least that's the only explanation I can give to why I failed before and why I'm succeeding now...