Game stops responding

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

motogen
Student Driver

Game stops responding

Post by motogen »

I'm trying to run classic adventure Golden Gate with Basilisk II. The game starts perfectly but whatever I do it freezes deadly after intro video. Also it has some sound problem that disappears after switching at 8 bit/mono sound mode. Please help!
rickyzhang
Apple Corer

Re: Game stops responding

Post by rickyzhang »

OK. Let's be realistic. Unless you enable debug mode in BII called cxmon by yourself, nobody will be able to/ willing to solve the crash for you.
There is an App for that!
https://github.com/rickyzhang82
motogen
Student Driver

Post by motogen »

Know nothing about it. Is it possible to use that debugger with Basilisk running on Android?
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

is it this game you are talking about? http://macintoshgarden.org/games/golden-gate
Best try again with SheepShaver (OldWorldROM) and MacOS 7.6 or lower.
If you expand ISO1.sit with a recent Stuffit Expander, the ISO may be mounted via the SheepShaver Volumes tab.
I only gave it a short whirl and the QTVR videos look all right to me.

If needed, I might add a zipped ISO of disk 1.
Not sure what to do with disk 2, some voodoo seems to be needed to inflate it.
motogen
Student Driver

Post by motogen »

Thanks!
The problem is there's no SS for Android. And I've tried many OS from 7.5 to 8.1, different game's images, the result is the same - the game freezes on second intro video, though the same video runs smooth if I open it separately with QT player.

Can you try to run this game with BII, please? I want to be sure it's kind of emulation problem
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

No problem...
Unfortunately the game hangs on the first page inside the house with those broken planks.
Same procedure with MacOS 7.5.3 or 8.1. :(
I think QTVR´s high time was with the early Power Macs, I don´t recall using it on a Quadra for example.
As it is, BasiliskII does not seem to work with Golden_Gate.iso.

Lets beg for a SheepShaver build for Android then.
As we got a Basilisk II build donated, another kind programmer might put things together for SheepShaver.
motogen
Student Driver

Post by motogen »

Thanks again for your help!
Is there any alternative of QT for 68k?
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Please try again, e.g. with MacOS 7.5.3 and drag the Quicktime Extension from inside the Golden_Gate.iso onto the System folder. To do that, you have to boot Basilisk II from another volume.
With the Quicktime Extension from the iso the game seems to be playable.
Animations are not as smooth as with SheepShaver, but working at least.
In case you don´t have a bootable 7.5.3 image, you may try this one: http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/macos-753-emulators

Please note that mrdav updated the Golden_Gate.iso.sit.
It may be wise to download the recent file - unless you do have the original game, that is. :)
If you should have the original game, please consider adding the manual to the page at Macintoshgarden.
motogen
Student Driver

Post by motogen »

I've done all that you advised but problem doesn't disappear. It seems android emulation of BII has some faults. However many of 68k games I've managed to run before. Thank you.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Sorry to hear that.
I´ll try to run Golden_Gate on my Android tablet to see how I fare.

Edit: Same here, or even worse rather.
If I let set the Mac to thousands of colours as recommended, my screen becomes garbled.
(Which is not the game´s fault apparently)
Running in 24bit colour, the game stalls at the intro screen.
The menu is there, but "New game" is not responding. Looks like frozen.

Maybe someone with a cutting edge ARM tablet will try to solve the question whether this game does work in BII for Android at all.
motogen
Student Driver

Post by motogen »

Welcome to our club! More likely it's a QT problem. That's why I asked you about some alternatives.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

There is no alternative for QuickTime.

Best try the game with the QT version (2.1) it comes with. Doesn't System 7.5.3/7.5.5 come with QT 2.5? It is not possible to downgrade QT by just installing an earlier version as each newer QT version consists of more files. You will need to remove all existing QT related files from the Extensions and Control Panels folders, for QT 2.5 in System 7.5.3/7.5.5 that includes the Sound Manager extension.

If this does not work, I am afraid there is no solution. BasiliskII an SheepShaver do not emulate all of the hardware. There may be something missing in the emulator that the game needs.