Any hope for a Basilisk equivalent of SheepVM?

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

emendelson
Forum All-Star

Any hope for a Basilisk equivalent of SheepVM?

Post by emendelson »

Now that kanjitalk755's terrific work on BasiliskII has made it full 64-bit and based on SDL2, is there any hope for BasiliskII counterparts to the self-contained SheepVM folders in SheepShaver? It would be very good to have this, but I know that it will take a lot of work...
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Any hope for a Basilisk equivalent of SheepVM?

Post by adespoton »

Actually, for BII I found it wasn't needed because of the --config flag.

Here's what I did:

Take a BII.app and rename the binary in BII.app/Contents/MacOS/BasiliskII to BII.app/Contents/MacOS/BII

Create a new document at BII.app/Contents/MacOS/BasiliskII with the following contents:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
mypath=`dirname "$0"`
res="../Resources"
cd "$mypath"
HOME="$mypath/$res"
./"BII" --config "$HOME/Config"
From the command line, chmod a+x the new BasiliskII file.

Place a file named Config in BII.app/Contents/Resources/ and place your ROM and disk images in that folder as well.

I use 1MB partitioned sparsebundles for my disk images so that Time Machine just has to back up any new or modified 1MB sparse files instead of backing up the entire disk image every time there's a change.

You could mess with the info.plist file to define a .BIIVM extension as well and modify your BII app to look for the right launching script when one is loaded, but this is more complex and not needed.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Re: Any hope for a Basilisk equivalent of SheepVM?

Post by emendelson »

That's excellent! I've been using this more complex method:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8020

But it would be good to have the .biivm technology built into the application as it is in SheepShaver...