Old powerpoint in Basilisk?

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

pangolin07
Space Cadet

Old powerpoint in Basilisk?

Post by pangolin07 »

I have some old powerpoint files (back in 1995) that couldn't be opened using the current MS Office 2016. I have searched on the internet for a while, and it seems that one solution is using Office 2003. I am trying to set up that environment. Meanwhile, just wondering if there is something we can do in Basilisk -- can we install the Powerpoint back in 1995 in Basilisk? Thanks.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Re: Old powerpoint in Basilisk?

Post by 24bit »

Newer Powerpoint or rather MS Office was near incompatible with Basilisk II or SheepShaver afaik.
Powerpoint 4 should open your oldies, given your files stem from the Mac side.
http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/microso ... ation-pool
The question remains, how to proceed from there.

Office 2000 for Windows may be worth a shot too, as 2000 could open Mac and PC files.
Ill try, if you can upload a sample.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Qemu running Mac OS 9.2 fully runs mac office 2001.

best,
Cat_7
KnuddlMac
Granny Smith

Post by KnuddlMac »

If you can't proceed, send me a PM and I'll convert the slide decks for you into something readable (PDF, ...) or - if possible - into a recent PPT file format.

I have loads of MS Office disks and CDs plus different versions installed on various "real", non emulated Macs. - A clear must have, as I was part of the Office team these days.

Office 2000 claimed to be compatible in between Win and Mac, but especially Powerpoint did have its glitches about the formatting. Both MS Office teams mostly did work independently and were trying to proof, that their system supersedes the other one.

The Mac fraction was even a bit hoity-toity on certain reason. J
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

I have to admit my lack of knowledge, compared to e.g. KnuddlMac. ;)

Just stumbling across a Word file for Mac from 1990, I found that Office 2000 (PC) was opening the file -
one out of the eight embedded pictures was garbled, however.
Office 2011 for Mac, version 14.0.0 opened the old file with all pictures intact though.
Not sure what that means for PPT or if/when Office 2011 stopped working with macOS.
OSX 10.9.5 is still running Office 2011 on my side.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Interestingly, I've found that for old Office documents, LibreOffice often does a better job than post '98 versions of MS Office in opening the files. LibreOffice also opens old ClarisWorks documents, NisusWriter documents, and a number of other formats found only in archives these days.

But I keep an old PPC Mac around running 10.4.11 with Mac OS 9.2.2 specifically to run old versions of document editors so I can migrate old documents.
KnuddlMac
Granny Smith

Post by KnuddlMac »

Interesting: I could not import a XL sheet with 98k lines using CSV (Mac version!), but TAB separated did do the trick.
But now I simply tried to save that Excel 5 sheet using BII and it hangs.

Any idea?

As workaround, I'll fire-up my SE-30 / 32MB to see if he could store the file on disk.

Happy Hackin'
KnuddlMac
Granny Smith

Post by KnuddlMac »

Jo!

The SE-30 did the job just fine, although it took quite a while.