Installing System 8.x on BasiliskII?

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

HEH
Space Cadet

Installing System 8.x on BasiliskII?

Post by HEH »

Okay, I have Basilisk II up and running: MacIIci (68030) or Quadra 900 (69040), both booting into 7.5.5.

I can mount a Unix volume for transferring files to MacOS 10.11.6 on my MacBook Pro.

Now, I want to install 8.1 but I am sort of stuck. I do have a couple of Developer CDs:
- August 1997 (System 8.0)
- February 1998 (System 8.1)

I can make a .dmg file but I can't seem to mount it in Basilisk. Perhaps someone has some guide on how to do this?
I'd be happy to share my experience.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Installing System 8.x on BasiliskII?

Post by adespoton »

You need to make a CDR file, not a DMG file. When creating the image, select the CD/DVD Master disk type.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

If you have no special reason to use the images from the dev CDs, here are some collected:
http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/macinto ... -mac-os-81
The Macintosh Anthology also covers localised MacOS8 versions in Dutch.

The .img files from DVD may be moved onto a say 2GB Mac volume via the Unix folder to run the OS installer.
You may also copy a MacOS .img to a place on your MBP and add the .img to the SheepShaver volumes list.
I feel that mounting .img from within Basilisk II with DiskCopy was more successful, but my memory may be incorrect.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I did all my installs on BII from a 7.5.5 starter that I created the traditional way -- all the rest were images loaded by Disk Copy inside BII along with a blank volume image to install onto. Remember that you didn't have to boot from the OS version you were installing back then.
rickyzhang
Apple Corer

Post by rickyzhang »

Guys, have you had any luck to run Mac OS 8 in BII without crashing? I crashed a lot. Thus, I stayed in 7.5
There is an App for that!
https://github.com/rickyzhang82
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I can run 8.1 in BasiliskII in OSX (now macOS 10.13). Main issue is not crashes but the button in window scroll bars not giving feedback (it stays in one place during scrolling). I do not use it anymore since I installed 8.1 in SheepShaver. I tried it just now to see if it still works. I don't think 8.1 has much advantage over 7.5.5. Possibly 7.6.1 would be better, it was the most stable version at the time.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I've been running 8.1 in BII since around 2006 on Windows and OS X hosts. Just make sure you're using the Quadra ROM and have a sane extension set.
Velek
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Velek »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:I can run 8.1 in BasiliskII in OSX (now macOS 10.13). Main issue is not crashes but the button in window scroll bars not giving feedback (it stays in one place during scrolling). I do not use it anymore since I installed 8.1 in SheepShaver. I tried it just now to see if it still works. I don't think 8.1 has much advantage over 7.5.5. Possibly 7.6.1 would be better, it was the most stable version at the time.
I was wondering where that scrollbar bug came from. System 8.1 doesn't have that problem in SheepShaver?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

The MacOS 8.1 scrollbar bug in BasiliskII for OSX is still there, also in 64-bit sdl2 builds from te latest kanjitalk755/macemu source. SheepShaver never had that bug.
Velek
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Velek »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:The MacOS 8.1 scrollbar bug in BasiliskII for OSX is still there, also in 64-bit sdl2 builds from te latest kanjitalk755/macemu source. SheepShaver never had that bug.
Trying to understand where that code actually lives. Is that something that's patched in by the emulator?
Velek
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Velek »

i just changed the rom_patch.cpp to use volatile pointers. I think it's helped my VS2017 Release build a little.
Still, for some reason it won't update the screen unless I move the mouse out and back into emulator screen.
Once I can get this bug straightened out, the Release native Win32 will be plenty fast.
Wondering which of the patches clobbered the scroll bar position changing routine, though.