Basilisk II GUI native to OS X/macOS

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Basilisk II OS X native GUI with presets

Poll ended at Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:16 am

Thanks, yes please!
75%
Thanks for your work but not interested
13%
Undecided
13%

Total votes: 8
munkymajic
Tinkerer

Re: Basilisk II GUI native to OS X/macOS

Post by munkymajic »

Uploaded new version...forgot to change the version number...

Think I've fixed all the current issues... haven't had time to extensively test it.

The last thing I "fixed" was as Ronald noticed the inability to keep an alias linked to the executable...

I had to completely re-write the method of creating the prefs file for this since it originally just deleted the prefs file and wrote a new one using an outdated method of file handling.

So for now it writes two prefs files... the original as it has been with the name unchanged and a new one for testing an alias with called ".basilisk_ii_prefs_debug". Both should have identical content.

But as I haven't had a chance to completely rewrite all references to the old file handling method this is for testing purposes.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

munkymajic wrote:
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Well, I did not get far. Your app crashes immediately on launch. It may be something in my prefs file.

Edit: Sorry, your app does not crash, see below.
Very sorry. I did not pay attention and got fooled by Gatekeeper.
Your app does not crash when reading my prefs file.
Could you please explain for others how you fixed this?
I did not fix anything. I was presented the message that the app was from an unknown developer and I clicked OK without reading the message. When I realised I was not paying attention, I used right-click and chose Open from the contextual message. (If the secondary mouse button is not enabled, a control-click will do the same.) After that is done once, the app can be launched normally bij double-clicking.
EDIT: Also what's the terminal command to apply to the app so that it can access app relative paths? Some kind of sandbox thing I guess? Will need it later for launching basilisk.
I suppose you want to open BasiliskII from the GUI app. It used to work in the old GUI, but it seems it does not work anymore in recent macOS versions. I suppose new security features interfere.

As far as I know, terminal commands can only be used to open the executable inside the application package. So you will need something like:

Code: Select all

open BasiliskII.app/Contents/MacOS/BasiliskII
If BasiliskII is launched that way, it will only be able to use the full paths in the prefs file.
munkymajic
Tinkerer

Post by munkymajic »

Hi Ronald,

Not sure if you noticed this update from the 24th of October?

I don't have enough time to test it myself, plus it's much better to have an objective 3rd party check it as I don't notice things as much...

Cheers!

P.S. Change alias link to executable to alias link to prefs file.
munkymajic wrote:Uploaded new version...forgot to change the version number...

Think I've fixed all the current issues... haven't had time to extensively test it.

The last thing I "fixed" was as Ronald noticed the inability to keep an alias linked to the executable...

I had to completely re-write the method of creating the prefs file for this since it originally just deleted the prefs file and wrote a new one using an outdated method of file handling.

So for now it writes two prefs files... the original as it has been with the name unchanged and a new one for testing an alias with called ".basilisk_ii_prefs_debug". Both should have identical content.

But as I haven't had a chance to completely rewrite all references to the old file handling method this is for testing purposes.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

munkymajic wrote:Not sure if you noticed this update from the 24th of October?
I missed that post, sorry.

Your latest "build" does indeed now save two prefs files.
(It is confusing that that build does not only have the same 0.14c version number as the previous one, but also carries the same creation and modification date and time as the previous one.)

Did anything else change compared with the previous O.14c build? I tested that one extensively and discussed it here: https://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewt ... 457#p64457

Note that I may not have explained clearly enough how and why I would like file names without path to be left alone. This resulted in you implementing the local path feature for disk image files which does not do what I would like to see.
munkymajic
Tinkerer

Post by munkymajic »

Hi Ronald,

Thanks for all the time you've spent testing. I'd like to try to get a version of this finished that is safe to use with real prefs files by the end of the year.

Unfortunately it doesn't make a lot of sense for me to get into it unless there's a lot of work to be done, one minor bug can usually wait until the next update.
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:I missed that post, sorry.

Your latest "build" does indeed now save two prefs files.
(It is confusing that that build does not only have the same 0.14c version number as the previous one, but also carries the same creation and modification date and time as the previous one.)
I don't know why Xcode does that, it's beyond my control. Btw, I'm still working on High Sierra, not that it should make a difference.
Did anything else change compared with the previous O.14c build? I tested that one extensively and discussed it here: https://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewt ... 457#p64457
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:I tested 0.14c concentrating on adding and removing files.

Disk images:
- With one exception:
If the GUI encounters in the prefs file a 'disk' string that is not a full path, it should display it as such and again save it as such. Showing "No Path!" for the kind is helpful to remind the user that it may not work if the name is not correct or if the file is not in the same folder as the BasiliskII application.
Thought I fixed that?
Note that I may not have explained clearly enough how and why I would like file names without path to be left alone. This resulted in you implementing the local path feature for disk image files which does not do what I would like to see.
Yes I know what you would like, the exact same behaviour as the X11 GUI.
"Unix Root"
I can imagine one improvement: While browsing, don't allow files to be selected. Unix Root should be a folder.
Should be fixed.
"ROM File"
Does not work correctly with regards to the message:
Should be fixed.
"Raw Keycodes"
Does not read the prefs file, regardless whether keycodes is set to true or false. Ticking "Use" and entering (the path to) a file in the box is saved correctly, but when the GUI is launched again both boxes are empty and saving sets it back to false with no (path to a) file name.
Should be fixed.

Additional fixes:

You could test using an alias link to the _debug prefs file and see if it breaks the alias.

Most if not all other previously mentioned issues should be fixed.

EDIT: Just downloaded and tested the app on my Mojave laptop for the first time and it crashed straight away.

Couldn't decipher the crash log, but would hazard a guess that it is breaking some sandbox rules with trying to access the local prefs file. I guess I will have to move the project to my laptop after all.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Downloaded again. Is this again a new build? (Again the same version number and the same creation and modification dates as before.)

Just downloaded and tested the app on my Mojave laptop for the first time and it crashed straight away.
It runs fine on my Mojave (10.14.6) iMac.

There will be a planned power outage here part of the day. I will test the app later, probably next weekend.
munkymajic
Tinkerer

Post by munkymajic »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:Downloaded again. Is this again a new build? (Again the same version number and the same creation and modification dates as before.)

Just downloaded and tested the app on my Mojave laptop for the first time and it crashed straight away.
It runs fine on my Mojave (10.14.6) iMac.

There will be a planned power outage here part of the day. I will test the app later, probably next weekend.
No it’s not a new version since I added the debug prefs file.

I think it crashes when there’s no prefs file now, not sure. Busy moving to Xcode on my laptop.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Maybe this is the same issue that I encountered when I thought the app crashed when I tried the app the first time. It is probably not signed/notarized properly yet. Just try to open it the first time using the Finder contextual menu (right-click or control-click the app icon).
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Under Mojave, I was able to open version 0.14c (1) by double-clicking on it and selecting Open. Maybe the crash on other systems had something to do with the prefs file?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Indeed, when I remove the .basilisk_ii_prefs_test file, the app crashes. Before it crashes it does, however, create an empty .basilisk_ii_prefs_test file. But with the empty .basilisk_ii_prefs_test file, the app still crashes.

Didn't earlier versions create a prefs file with default configuration?
munkymajic
Tinkerer

Post by munkymajic »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:Indeed, when I remove the .basilisk_ii_prefs_test file, the app crashes. Before it crashes it does, however, create an empty .basilisk_ii_prefs_test file. But with the empty .basilisk_ii_prefs_test file, the app still crashes.

Didn't earlier versions create a prefs file with default configuration?
Yeah earlier versions didn’t do this. Must be the new file handling method. Think I’ll onky use it for writing. Can you please check if alias links break with the _debug prefs file?

EDIT: Well I think I found the crash bug. But haven’t recompiled. Will wait for Ronald’s next list of ransom demands :lol:
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

1. The alias to the debug prefs file stayed connected all through the testing over two days. And the contents of the test prefs file and the debug prefs file were identical after each save.

2. All previously reported issues seem to have been solved except for one small thing with the rom setting:

The "message" is now displayed when the rom line is missing or when the rom line is only "rom"
The message is not displayed when the rom line is "rom " (rom and one space).

When the box is cleared in the interface, there will still be that one space, so it would be better if the message would also be displayed then.

In fact, that is how it works with the extfs setting.
munkymajic
Tinkerer

Post by munkymajic »

Ok thanks very much for testing Ronald!

With the rom, it is because of the prefs matching system I use isn’t exact. Will look into it. A search for a matching keyword “rom” returns two matches... rom and cdrom.

I’m using match contains to get the whole line for that setting not exact match as that wouldn’t return the setting value...
munkymajic
Tinkerer

Post by munkymajic »

Version 0.14d uploaded...

Fixed crash with no prefs file...

Removed old file handling method

Writes one prefs file using new method

Hopefully squashed the rom bug

Added an icon
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

munkymajic wrote:Fixed crash with no prefs file...
check
And again creates a new prefs file with default settings
Removed old file handling method
Writes one prefs file using new method
check
And alias stays connected
Hopefully squashed the rom bug
check
Added an icon
Hm, yes. How about combining that icon with the BasiliskII icon:

The corresponding icon file is here: http://ronaldpr.home.xs4all.nl/emaculation/BII-GUI.icns
munkymajic
Tinkerer

Post by munkymajic »

Hi Ronald,

Thanks for testing!

I like your icon a lot too.

I’m not 100% sure how that’s going to look scaled down to a regular icon size though?
munkymajic
Tinkerer

Post by munkymajic »

Some other icon options...

Top left is the current icon, pixelated version of Apple's current logo to match pixelation of control panel icon.

One down is Apple Menu icon from System 7, scaled to match pixelation of cp icon.

One down is Apple Logo from the official Basilisk II website: basilisk.cebix.net

Top right is from Mac OS 8 boot screen.

One down is grayscale version.

One down is a modification of Ronald's idea.

EDIT: Since Basilisk II can run Mac OS 8, I'm not sure I understand the relevance of 6 7... unless it's the author's birth year? And a bit ironic given that neither System 6 or 7 had that happy face icon in them?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

munkymajic wrote:I’m not 100% sure how that’s going to look scaled down to a regular icon size though?
A proper icns icon file contains images in different sizes. Here are the smaller icon images, copied directly from my icon file. All still pretty recognizable, I think.

16x16

32x32

64x64

128x128
Since Basilisk II can run Mac OS 8, I'm not sure I understand the relevance of 6 7... unless it's the author's birth year? And a bit ironic given that neither System 6 or 7 had that happy face icon in them?
Yes, this is mentioned by others before. But it has been the icon for BasiliskII for years now. Putting the same orange 67 in the BasiliskIIGUI icon would make a nice match with the BasiliskII icon.

I tried to introduce the picture of a basilisk as icon for BasiliskII a long time ago, but that icon survived only two builds in 2008 and 2009:

Edit: I do not know who made the 67 icon. It was based on a 9 (MacOS9) icon, where the 9 was replaced by 67. I was told that early BasiliskII versions could also run System 6.0.8 or even earlier. Not anymore, at least not the OSX/macOS version.

Edit: From this post https://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewt ... 399#p64361
adespoton wrote:The ancient monolithic builds of Basilisk II only ran System 6.0.5 and later IIRC; there were plans to make it run previous versions, but the hardware support was never added -- instead, the project went through a re-design and System 7.0 on a Performa-series Mac was chosen as the lowest reference combination.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason:  
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

The 67 was from the early builds, before the 68040 emulation was complete, and System 6 and 7 were the supported versions. I can't remember who made the original, but I seem to recall it was around the time of the Mac build with the full UI with the big red button at the bottom and the toolbar at the top. At some point, I updated it to 78, but that icon got lost and never made it to production; I think the timeframe was sometime around 2003. This was before Ronald's basilisk icon, which also didn't survive. I also did one with a 7-9 in the front for SheepShaver at the time, but people preferred the sheep :)

I'll see if I can dig up the 78 one; it could be a good one to use. The colored apple one's a bad idea, as that's the icon for one of the apple menu desk accessories :). The grey apple one doesn't really make sense for Basilisk II. For now, I'd recommend going with Ronald's.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Drifting a little off-topic, but I could not resist digging through my collection of old BasiliskII files.

According to a Credits file, there was a "MacOS X (native windowing) port" by Nigel Pearson dated 2002.

I have a later (2006, ppc + i386) build by Nigel Pearson with full GUI built-in as preferences settings, with at the top of the main window a "Power on/off emulator" button, a "Start/pauze/resume emulation" button, and a large "Power on/of emulator" button and at the bottom of the main window a "Frames/sec" slider, a "Snapshot" (Capture screen image) button, a "Zap PRAM" button, an Interrupt button, and a large "Restart emulator" button. It runs in Mojave, but crashed during startup of the emulator. It may still run with different settings. I did not try that.

It has the 67 icon.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Yeah; it's Nigel's builds I'm thinking of. The 2002 one had the full GUI as well.

The 2006 build stopped working for me with El Capitan if I remember correctly, although it may have been earlier.

Anyway, let me know if you want me to dig up the 78 icon. It looks essentially the same.
munkymajic
Tinkerer

Post by munkymajic »

Hi Ronald,

Do you have a screenshot of Nigel’s interface? Sounds interesting.

Hi Adespoton,

If you can find the 7 8, I wouldn’t mind having a look. But only if it’s no trouble.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

munkymajic wrote:Do you have a screenshot of Nigel’s interface? Sounds interesting.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

After playing with the settings I could make it startup without crashing. But it stops here:

munkymajic
Tinkerer

Post by munkymajic »

Hi Ronald,

Thanks for the screenshot, that kind of layout makes much more sense to me...

Could you please send me a screenshot of the disk volumes and hardware tabs too?

Thanks again!