Executor - How to install apps and games

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

filipetolhuizen
Tinkerer

Executor - How to install apps and games

Post by filipetolhuizen »

Hello,
I've been trying out Executor for Windows but have been unable to extract and install games and apps. The ones that came on the emulator have their data and resource fork saved directly on Executor's subfolders. Stuffit expander just opens and closes whenever I try to extract anything. Would I still need a virtual HD image to install other apps? Is it compatible with Sheepshaver and QEMU disk images?
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Re: Executor - How to install apps and games

Post by Jorpho »

filipetolhuizen wrote:Stuffit expander just opens and closes whenever I try to extract anything.
What version of Stuffit Expander are you using? I seem to recall it was originally distributed with a version of Expander, but my mind is fuzzy on the subject. It might only work with 4.x, which of course would not be able to open Stuffit 5 archives.

If all else fails you can use The Unarchiver in Windows, specifically with the "-k hfv" switch, as in https://emaculation.com/doku.php/extrac ... in_windows . The "-k hfv" switch will automatically preserve the resource fork with Executor's filename convention, so you can just browse to the appropriate folder in Executor. This will of course work with any of the multitudinous formats supported by The Unarchiver, including various .sea files.
filipetolhuizen wrote:The ones that came on the emulator have their data and resource fork saved directly on Executor's subfolders.
Doesn't it include a bunch of .hfv images and a "makehfv" utility?
filipetolhuizen wrote:Is it compatible with Sheepshaver and QEMU disk images?
I expect it depends on whether the image is formatted as HFS or HFS Plus.