No sound

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

WizKid
Tinkerer

No sound

Post by WizKid »

Running the latest release of Executor from autc04's branch, and I can get several games to work (Lemmings, Museum Madness) but there's no sound.

They work fine with sound in Qemu and Basilisk II.

Is this a limitation of Executor?
Last edited by WizKid on Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: No sound

Post by adespoton »

WizKid wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:31 pm Running the latest release of Executor from autoc04's branch, and I can get several games to work (Lemmings, Museum Madness) but there's no sound.

They work fine with sound in Qemu and Basilisk II.

Is this a limitation of Executor?
From the manual:
Executor 2's sound emulation is incomplete. As such, some applications will crash when trying to use sound under Executor 2. Therefore, Executor normally leaves Sound off. When applications ask to allocate sound resources and Executor's sound subsystem is turned off, Executor returns a "resource busy" error-code, and well behaved applications realize that they should run silently.

Setting Sound to "Pretend" will cause Executor to tell applications that it is producing sound, even though it actually isn't, which may be good enough to fool an application into running even when it would fail with Sound Off or Sound On. When Sound is "On," some Macintosh applications will be able to play sounds on your Sound-Blaster (or compatible) equipped PC. Sound support is preliminary, and using it may cause problems. If you're using sound with an application and have trouble, try turning the application's and Executor's sound off.
WizKid
Tinkerer

Post by WizKid »

How do I access the preferences (via Cmd-Shift-5), the MacOS screenshot feature engages.

How do I access it in autc04's build?
Last edited by WizKid on Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

If it's hard-linked to command-shift-5, just use keyboard prefs to move the screenshot feature elsewhere while you change the settings. I haven't used that build, so I'm not sure if there's an easier way.
WizKid
Tinkerer

Post by WizKid »

adespoton wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:10 pm If it's hard-linked to command-shift-5, just use keyboard prefs to move the screenshot feature elsewhere while you change the settings. I haven't used that build, so I'm not sure if there's an easier way.
So I changed "Screenshot and recording options" from Cmd-Shift-5 to Cmd-Shift-6.

Cmd-Shift-5 still does nothing in Executor. :sad:

What's funny is that in the source tree SDL sound support exists.

I think it's the fact that the bundled Browser component (see here) is out of date.

I've tried SimpleText (from Mac OS 8) and it works, but the "Sound" menu is greyed out, which means it's set to disabled and not even faked.

Maybe it's possible to edit the Executor prefs file directly?