[SOLVED] extract from .IMG images & transfer .IMG e .DSK to a real Mac SE

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

giobbi
Space Cadet

[SOLVED] extract from .IMG images & transfer .IMG e .DSK to a real Mac SE

Post by giobbi »

Hello,

I got some .IMG files (i.e. the Indy 3 game: "LastCrusade.img") that work fine with Mini vMac.

Since I have a real MacIntosh SE (1 MB) with an internal Hard disk, and I can transfer files from / to Windows XP using a serial cable, I wish to transfer the content of this .IMG files from Windows XP to the real Mac SE.

How can I extract files from the .IMG image file? Even after a deep search I haven't found any software to do that.

I tried the "exportfl-1.3.1.dsk" from inside Mini vMac, but it seems to work only with some kind of files (I can't extract IndyTM file, in example: the result is 0 Kb).

I can transfer the .IMG content to a .DSK archive from inside Mini vMac, but - again - I don't know how to open .dsk files from Windows.

Any idea or suggestion? BTW The only Apple computer I have is the above mentioned MacIntosh SE, so I must to solve on the Windows side.

Thank you!
Giovi
Last edited by giobbi on Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Re: extract files from .IMG images

Post by 24bit »

Basilisk II Build 142 may be a solution.
AppleTalk used to work between two Macs with a serial cable.
The emulator running on XP can act as Mac in the middle, preparing the desired files for transfer.
If the AppleTalk setup should fail, you might use ZTerm on Basilisk II and your SE with a null modem to move files.
Mac apps will be best sent as .hqx to preserve integrity.

Maybe this helps? https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/null-modem
giobbi
Space Cadet

Post by giobbi »

24bit wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:20 am Basilisk II Build 142 may be a solution.
AppleTalk used to work between two Macs with a serial cable.
The emulator running on XP can act as Mac in the middle, preparing the desired files for transfer.
If the AppleTalk setup should fail, you might use ZTerm on Basilisk II and your SE with a null modem to move files.
Mac apps will be best sent as .hqx to preserve integrity.
Let me see if I understood... you mean:
1) run Basilisk II on the WinXP side
2) connect XP and "real" Mac SE by a null-modem cable (Already done!)
3) run Zterm or AppleTalk on Basilisk II
4) run Zterm on the "real" SE
5) Try to see if the "real" SE and the emulated Mac from inside Basilisk II can connect together
6) if point 5 is ok, transfer files from Basilisk to "real" SE.

Still, I don't understand how to open IMG files from inside Basilisk II. Those are the files I need to open...
24bit wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:20 am Maybe this helps? https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/null-modem
Yes, I'm using that kind of cable.
giobbi
Space Cadet

Post by giobbi »

I've found a way! A little bit tricky, but...

1) Install Stuffit deluxe suite in mini vMac and at least Stuffit expander on the "real" Mac
2) drag and drop the IMG file in mini vMac
3) compress the content of the IMG file from inside vMac as .SIT archive -> i.e. Image.Sit
4) drag and drop the exportfl-1.3.1.dsk (export file - get it at the mini vMac site)
5) export the .SIT archive (i.e. image.Sit) to Windows environment using exportfl
6) using a null modem cable transfer the image.Sit archive from Windows to the "real" Mac
[I use Hyper Terminal on Windows XP, creating a 57600 8-N-1 profile, and ZTerm 1.0.1 on the real Mac, using a local profile]
7) on the "real" Mac expand the image.Sit using Stuffit Expander.

That's all! I successfully installed Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade from a indy3.img I found on the web. I'm goin' to install more games I will never play, actually LOL