Mini vMac Setup Guide

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

ClockWise
Site Admin

Mini vMac Setup Guide

Post by ClockWise »

I wrote a little guide to setting up System 6 in Mini vMac for Windows:

http://emaculation.com/doku.php/mini_vmac_setup

I know that Mini vMac is dead simple and that no one really needs any help, but I've just been hungry for some fresh content.

I wrote it over one hour after not getting any sleep last night, so there might be some mistakes.

Any thoughts?
ClockWise
Site Admin

Re: Mini vMac Setup Guide

Post by ClockWise »

Hey, I've updated this guide! I removed references to HFVExplorer in favor of ImportFL. Also fixed a few dead links.
MacintoshPrototype
Student Driver

Post by MacintoshPrototype »

Suggestion:

Add link to minivmac variations service. This will help people to create their own minivmac build without programming. It also support high resolution and color support.
xor
Space Cadet

Post by xor »

How setup ethernet TCPIP?
starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

Post by starfiretbt »

I've just started trying to run Mini vMac after playing old mac games on basiliskII, which doesn't run every mac game I used to play when I was a child. I'm not an expert with computers so I am following your guide "to the letter." I hate to be a stickler but I assume when you say "Repeat this procedure on “SSW_6.0.8-1.4MB_Disk1of2.sea.bin” to produce a file called “System Additions” you really mean "SSW_6.0.8-1.4MB_Disk2of2.sea.bin." Also I couldn't find a file called "024M.dsk" but I did find a file called "024M," it did become a file called "024M.dsk" when I expanded it.
But the guide works, when I assumed those meanings.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Thanks for the feedback. I will check it out and revise the guide where needed.
starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

Post by starfiretbt »

I just got some advice I think would be great for the guide, if not just ignore. If you can suggest making copies of disk images in case of corrupting that would really help people like me. I recently played a game that caused mini vmac to freeze up forcing me to quit mini vmac at the risk of corrupting the disk. So far I have been able to still play the game and I can't find any signs of issues but other than the games being playable I don't know what else to look for.
EDIT: at least make a copy of a disk image before you run an application you haven't ran before.
kd8tzc
Student Driver

Post by kd8tzc »

I know this is an old thread, and thank you for the manual, but is there a way that Mini vMac knows to boot from the HDD that I created from your guide? It seems that I have to drag it onto the program after I launch it, but it would be nice if it would remember the HDD. It does the ROM, so possibly it can also with the HDD?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Disk images in the same folder as Mini vMac itself will be used if named "disk1.dsk", "disk3.dsk", "disk4.dsk", etc.

If I remember well, there is a maximum number of disks. Not sure how many, but at least six disks can be used at the same time.
kd8tzc
Student Driver

Post by kd8tzc »

Okay, that is what I thought. For some reason yesterday it was not working, but when I just launched it to see what System I had loaded to reply to this, it did Boot.