Mini vMac Snapshot: December 6, 2008 (color in Windows?)

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

ClockWise
Site Admin

Mini vMac Snapshot: December 6, 2008 (color in Windows?)

Post by ClockWise »

Lots of Mini vMac news over here:

http://minivmac.sourceforge.net/

Edit: I've now compiled it. Get it here:

http://www.emaculation.com/minivmac/minivmac081204.zip

(scroll down for specifics)

The scoop:

"The latest Development source snapshot supports color in the Windows version for the Mac II emulation. (Previously color only worked in OS X.)

It currently uses StretchDIBits for all color drawing in Windows. I'm not sure if this will give adequate performance on all versions of Windows on all hardware. It seems to work ok in Windows 98 running in VMware Fusion, which is all I've tried so far.

As a reminder, these development snapshots are not betas, or even alphas, they are just work in progress. I'll accept bug reports, but I'm not particularly interested in having people test the snapshots. Most people should stick with the stable version. The reason for the snapshots is to conduct development more openly, since Mini vMac is open source. The main practical uses for the snapshots are to assure people that Mini vMac is actively developed, and for backup.

There have been complaints about the rarity of the Macintosh II. So this snapshot also supports emulation with the Macintosh IIx ROM, using '-m IIx' in the build system. The ROM image should be named 'MacIIx.ROM'. (The ROMs in the IIcx, II FDHD, and the SE/30 are supposed to be identical to the one in IIx. Actually I don't own a IIx, I have a IIcx, donated by Lil and Sherm Sundet.) This doesn't really emulate a Macintosh IIx yet, it just accepts the IIx ROM and emulates the Macintosh II hardware, which seems to work ok. I haven't looked closely yet at what the differences should be. (One main difference is that a IIx should have a 68030 instead of 68020 CPU.)

There is a new memory allocation scheme in this snapshot, so the the platform dependent code doesn't need to know about each allocation made by the platform independent code. This made it simpler to fix a problem with compiling the CPU emulation code for Macintosh 680x0.

The build system now supports Xcode 3.1, using the option "-ev 3100". Mini vMac compiles without warnings, which wasn't possible with the SDK that comes with Xcode 2.4.1.

The build system can now be compiled with the final version of MPW, still available from Apple, rather than only with MPW 3. Unfortunately, the final MPW doesn't quite work yet in Mini vMac, but I hope to make this work in the not too distant future (by implementing the FPU in the Macintosh II emulation). I also went further, as far as porting the build system to the Xcode tools on Intel OS X, but I'm not sure that I'll keep this. "
Last edited by ClockWise on Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

Sounds great!

Nevermind, I was skipping down to the Windows build instructions and didn't read the several paragraphs at the top of the page explaining the extra hoops required to make the svn file on a Mac OS system.
Last edited by Mac Emu on Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

I compiled just fine using, um, Bloodshed C++.

Didn't we have this same conversation several months ago?
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

I wasn't able to compile it at first a few months ago because I forgot I only had VB/VWD installed. After installing VC++ I was able to build it.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

I've compiled it:

http://www.emaculation.com/minivmac/minivmac081204.zip

My build uses millions of colors, 8M of memory and (most importantly) the Mac IIx rom.

The ROM file should be named MacIIx.ROM
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

I hear an echo. :lol:

Thanks for the build Mike (and Paul). And as luck would have it, my Mom gave me her Mac IIcx many years ago (checksum 97221136).

I noticed that Desktop Patterns is all B&W just like a bug the Windows port of Basilisk II used to have when running System 7.x (not present when running Mac OS 7.6.x or 8.x unless certain "dirty" 512K ROMs were used). I doubt any desktop picture or pattern manager would work (like Decor or Desktop Textures Suite).

The Mac is back.

Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

I was able to get a color desktop pattern at boot (I invoked the Control Menu trying to grab a screen shot). But the desktop is goes back to gray.

yksoft1
Master Emulator

Post by yksoft1 »

I built it with Visual c++ 6.0.
even I used -m IIx, the gestalt of emulated system is still Macintosh II.
My build options:(running build in my October 13 build of Mini vMac II)
Screenshot:
Download link:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ijyzekzzlyx
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Indeed. Paul says on his site:

"This doesn't really emulate a Macintosh IIx yet, it just accepts the IIx ROM and emulates the Macintosh II hardware, which seems to work ok. I haven't looked closely yet at what the differences should be. (One main difference is that a IIx should have a 68030 instead of 68020 CPU.) "
johnsmith
Space Cadet

Post by johnsmith »

How do you compile it to have the monitor depth, and the memory?

I played with:

#define vMacScreenHeight 480
#define vMacScreenWidth 640
#define vMacScreenDepth 4

The resulting build had graphics all over the place. Also, as a MacII it crashes HyperCard 2.1.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Build instructions are here:

http://minivmac.sourceforge.net/doc/build.html

Build options are here:

http://minivmac.sourceforge.net/doc/options.html

That should help you build what you want!
johnsmith
Space Cadet

Post by johnsmith »

Thanks for the links. I looked thorough it all, and couldn't find how to change the memory allocation or screen depth. (I'm building on an OSX Intel box).
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

The Macintosh Classic emulation will only support up to 4 M of memory, and only the one screen resolution... no matter how you build it. That's supposed to be an accurate emulation.

The Mac II emulation supports up to 8 M of memory:

"The build option is '-mem 8M'. It can also use '-mem 5M', '-mem 4M', '-mem 2M', and '-mem 1M'. The '-m' option now checks that it's argument is valid for the machine being emulated."

And you can adjust the color depth at build:

"The desired color depth is chosen at compile time, with the "-depth" option in the build system. "-depth 0" is black and white (the default for now), "-depth 1" is 2 bit color (4 colors), "-depth 2" is 4 bit color (16 colors), "-depth 3" is 8 bit color (256 colors), "-depth 4" is 16 bit color (thousands), and "-depth 5" is 32 bit color (millions). These options only work with the Macintosh II emulation ('-m II')."
johnsmith
Space Cadet

Post by johnsmith »

Thanks. It worked! Crashes a bit, but looks very pretty. I even got the screen to run at 800x600.
mfnickster
Space Cadet

Source code?

Post by mfnickster »

I tried downloading the Mini vMac source code, but it unzips to a '.dsk' image.

Nothing I have found will open the image. Disk Copy, Stuffit-- even following the directions and changing the extension to '.dmg' yields a message of 'no mountable filesystems' when I try to mount it. I'm on Mac OS 10.5.6, Intel iMac.

Would somebody PLEASE pack the source code into a .zip or .gz file and upload it? That seems to me the sensible way to make it available!

TIA,
- Nickster
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

It is intended to be that way. If you want to build it, follow the instructions:

http://minivmac.sourceforge.net/doc/build.html
mfnickster
Space Cadet

Post by mfnickster »

I get that, but WHY is it intended that way? It's pretty nonstandard.

What if I want to just examine the code without building it, or without running Mini vMac, or if I don't have a ROM image?

- Nickster
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

No idea. You would have to contact Paul Pratt and ask why.
ryandesign
Space Cadet

Post by ryandesign »

I maintain the minivmac port in MacPorts. I am adding a minivmac-devel port for trying out the latest development snapshots. There will be an +experimental variant for trying the Mac Classic, Mac II and Mac IIx emulations that aren't quite finished yet.

You can access the .dsk files as follows:

To mount the disk image, rename the file to minivmac.src.img (so its extension is .img instead of .dsk). Then run these two command in the Terminal:

Code: Select all

mkdir /tmp/minivmac
hdiutil attach minivmac.src.img -mountpoint /tmp/minivmac -noautoopen -noautofsck -noverify -readonly
When you're done looking or copying the files off, to unmount the disk image, run these two commands:

Code: Select all

hdiutil detach /tmp/minivmac -force
rmdir /tmp/minivmac
DAVID123
Space Cadet

Post by DAVID123 »

javascript:emoticon(':(')

can you give a link for the rom
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Sorry, we don't share ROMs here. :(
DAVID123
Space Cadet

Post by DAVID123 »

(':?')

why can't you give a link for the rom
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

It's illegal to distribute ROMs.

Personally I don't really care too much. But the site policy is to not link to ROMs in obvious ways.

You should do a search on Google or (even better) on a bit torrent search engine. Search "vMac" for the latter and you should find a complete package with the emulator, ROMs and everything else...
DAVID123
Space Cadet

Post by DAVID123 »

(':?:')

i have used bit tronet i do not know how to use them
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

You should do a Google search. I'm sure you will find something...